1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Removing units from Schrodingers equation

1. Apr 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am working on a problem regarding an electron in a one dimensional finite square well. I start off with [itex]\psi(x,0)[/itex] which is the symmetric solution to the time-independent Schrodinger equation for the well. Then I can use Euler's method to find [itex]\psi(x,t)[/itex] for the other values of t (for an animation), ie, I use:

[tex] \psi(x,t+dt) = \psi(x,t) + dt*\hat{H}\psi(x,t)[/tex]

Where [itex] \hat{H}[/itex] is the hamiltonian.

However, I am encountering a problem:
    I think the values outside of the well are too small for Python; When I use the actual values for the speed of light, the electron mass and Planck's constant, I do not get an animation that makes sense; Actually, I do not get any animation at all. However, when I set all of the mentioned values equal to one, while the animaton still does not seem correct, it at least gives me an animation.

So, I am thinking of making my equations unitless. However, I do not know how. I have the following six constants:

[tex] \frac{V}{\hbar}\quad{\rm}\quad \frac{\hbar}{2m} \quad{\rm }\quad \kappa := \frac{\sqrt{-2mE}}{\hbar} \quad{\rm }\quad l:= \frac{\sqrt{2m(E+V)}}{\hbar} [/tex]
    [tex]A=\frac{e^{\kappa a}\cos{la}}{\sqrt{a+1/\kappa}} \quad{\rm }\quad B=\frac{1}{\sqrt{a+1/\kappa}}[/tex]

Here a is half the width of the potential square well, and [itex]\hbar[/itex] is planck's reduced constant. E is the particles energy and V is the depth of the potential well. Finally, m is the mass of an electron.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2} + V(x)\psi = i \hbar\frac{d\psi}{dt} [/tex]

[tex]-V<E<0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can see the relation between the third of and fourth constants; [itex]\sqrt{\frac{-V}{E} - 1}[/itex]. The other constant, however, I am not certain how to make unitless.

Also, of course, there is no guarantee that my program will work when I make Schrodinger's equation and [itex]\psi(x,t)[/itex] unitless. So, I would love all advice that can potentially lead me to the solution.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2015 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Apr 11, 2015 #3
    You may be right. However, what should the step size be? In picoseconds?

Also, here is my animation when I changed the units to one ([itex]|\psi|^2[/itex]). Does it look right?
    It changes into the same curve no matter what [itex]\psi(x,0)[/itex] is.

movie.gif

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  5. Apr 11, 2015 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted