Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Repeating fequency modulation scan averaging

1. Jul 21, 2010 #1

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this, but I'll give it a shot. I am recording a laser signal through my experiment which is running an FM scan at 20 kHz. The time scale of the experiment I'm running is much larger than the 20 kHz signal, so each scan is about the same. In the end I get a data signal file (through my DAQ) which has around 100 repetitions of this scan. I am wondering if anyone knows of any type of software or Matlab routine which could interpret and average the repeating waveform for me. Each particular waveform may have a bit of noise affecting the sample, but when averaged with the others this should drop out (to a respectable degree).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2010 #2
    Is the dataset continuous, i.e. the 100 scans are back to back with no indication when the next scan starts? Or do you know the position of the 100 scans? If you know where the 100 scans are, it should be no problem to average the 100 scan vectors in Matlab.
  4. Jul 23, 2010 #3
    The dataset is continuous, very similar to a ramp function. I could tell Matlab where each scan begins, but I was wondering if anyone was aware of a program or function that could do this automatically.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook