1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Representation equivalent to a unitary one

1. May 29, 2013 #1
    Hey guys,

How come a representation [itex]\rho[/itex] of a group [itex]G[/itex] is always equivalent to a unitary representation of [itex]G[/itex] on some (inner product) space [itex]V[/itex] ?

Can anyone provide a good source (book, preferrably) which states a proof?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it's only true for finite groups in general. You keep your representation and just define an inner product:
    [tex] \left< u, v \right> = \frac{1}{|G|} \sum_{g\in G} \left< \rho(g) u, \rho(g) v \right> [/tex]

And it's clear that this inner product is invariant under multiplying u and v by any [itex] \rho(h) [/itex] because the right hand side will still end up being the sum over all group elements of [itex] \rho(gh)[/itex] which still gives every [itex] \rho(g) [/itex] once.

If you had a compact Lie group or something you could do the same thing with integrating over the group

4. May 29, 2013 #3
    Ok, so what if I had [itex]SO(3)[/itex] ? It's supposed to hold for this group, but I can't seem to find a source (other than the lecture notes I'm using)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook