Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Representation of elements of the Grassmannian space

1. Nov 5, 2018 #1
    Hi,

I am studying some material related to Grassmannians and in particular how to represent k-subspaces of ℝn as "points" in another space.

I think understood the general idea behind the Plücker embedding, however, I recently came across another type of embedding (the "Projection embedding") that sounds more intuitive and simpler to understand (see attached figure for its definition).

Can anyone elaborate a bit more on the main differences between Plücker and Projection embeddings?

In the past I browsed some old textbooks in the classical literature of algebraic geometry, and while the Plücker embedding is always treated extensively, the Projection embedding is not even mentioned at all. Why?

upload_2018-11-5_14-12-3.png

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2018 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. Nov 14, 2018 at 7:41 PM #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you need to define some of the symbols in your post to make it possible for us to comment. e.g what is X ? if a matrix, how does it represent an element of the grassmannian? also the text you quote contradicts your statement that the projection method is less studied than the plucker one. why not just look at some of the references in [8], which you do not give us.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted