Representations of the cyclic group of order n

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Messages
3,920
Reaction score
48
I am reading James and Liebeck's book on Representations and Characters of Groups.

Exercise 1 of Chapter 3 reads as follows:

Let G be the cyclic group of order m, say G = < a : [itex]a^m = 1[/itex] >.

Suppose that A [itex]\in GL(n \mathbb{C} )[/itex], and define [itex]\rho : G \rightarrow GL(n \mathbb{C} )[/itex] by

[itex]\rho : a^r \rightarrow A^r \ \ (0 \leq r \leq m-1 )[/itex]

Show that [itex]\rho[/itex] is a representation of G over [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] iff and only if [itex]A^m = I[/itex]

The solution given is as follows (functions are applied from the right)

Suppose [itex]\rho[/itex] is a representation of G. Then

[itex]I = 1 \rho = ( a^m ) \rho = {(a \rho)}^m = A^m[/itex]

Conversely assume that [itex]A^m = I[/itex]. Then [itex]( a^i ) \rho = A^i[/itex] for all integers i.

Therefore for all integers i, j

[itex]( a^i a^j ) \rho \ = \ ( a^{i+j} ) \rho \ = \ A^{i+j} \ = \ A^i A^j \ = \ ( a^i \rho ) a^j \rho )[/itex]

and so [itex]\rho[/itex] is a representation.

===================================================================

That is all fine but I am just getting into representations and wish to get an intuitive understanding of what is happening.

In the above I am suprised that we have no explicit form for A.

Does this mean we have many representations for G in this case - that is any and every matrix A for which [itex]A^m = I[/itex]

Can someone please confirm this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
I am reading James and Liebeck's book on Representations and Characters of Groups.

Exercise 1 of Chapter 3 reads as follows:

Let G be the cyclic group of order m, say G = < a : [itex]a^m = 1[/itex] >.

Suppose that A [itex]\in GL(n \mathbb{C} )[/itex], and define [itex]\rho : G \rightarrow GL(n \mathbb{C} )[/itex] by

[itex]\rho : a^r \rightarrow A^r \ \ (0 \leq r \leq m-1 )[/itex]

Show that [itex]\rho[/itex] is a representation of G over [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] iff and only if [itex]A^m = I[/itex]

The solution given is as follows (functions are applied from the right)

Suppose [itex]\rho[/itex] is a representation of G. Then

[itex]I = 1 \rho = ( a^m ) \rho = {(a \rho)}^m = A^m[/itex]

Conversely assume that [itex]A^m = I[/itex]. Then [itex]( a^i ) \rho = A^i[/itex] for all integers i.

Therefore for all integers i, j

[itex]( a^i a^j ) \rho \ = \ ( a^{i+j} ) \rho \ = \ A^{i+j} \ = \ A^i A^j \ = \ ( a^i \rho ) a^j \rho )[/itex]

and so [itex]\rho[/itex] is a representation.

===================================================================

That is all fine but I am just getting into representations and wish to get an intuitive understanding of what is happening.

In the above I am suprised that we have no explicit form for A.

Does this mean we have many representations for G in this case - that is any and every matrix A for which [itex]A^m = I[/itex]

Can someone please confirm this?

well the matrix A isn't the representation, the mapping ρ is. and this mapping doesn't have to be an isomorphism, just a homomorphism. for example, ρ could be trivial, sending every element of G to the identity matrix. or, if m is even, ρ could send a generator of Cm to -I. more generally, with an nxn matrix, there can be many more m-th roots of the identity matrix than you can have in a field. so, yes, representations aren't unique.
 
Thanks

Just needed the confirmation before going onwards!

Thanks again