1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Representing spin operators in alternate basis

1. Apr 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to find the matrix representation of the ##\hat{S}_x,\hat{S}_y,\hat{S}_z## and ##\hat{S}^2## operators in the ##S_x## basis (is it more correct to say the ##x## basis, ##S_x## basis or the ##\hat{S}_x## basis?).

2. Relevant equations

$$\hat{S}^2|s,m_s\rangle=s(s+1)\hbar^2|s,m_s\rangle$$
    $$\hat{S}_z|s,m_s\rangle=m_s\hbar|s,m_s\rangle$$
    $$\hat{S}_x|s,m_s\rangle=\frac{1}{2}(\hat{S}_++\hat{S}_-)|s,m_s\rangle$$
    $$\hat{S}_y|s,m_s\rangle=\frac{1}{2i}(\hat{S}_+-\hat{S}_-)|s,m_s\rangle$$
    $$\hat{S}_{\pm}|s,m_s\rangle=\sqrt{s(s+1)-m_s(m_s \pm 1)}\hbar|s,m_s \pm 1\rangle$$

3. The attempt at a solution

Finding these in the ##S_z## basis is simple enough. All I need to do is investigate how the basis vectors ##\{|\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}\rangle \equiv |\alpha\rangle, |\frac{1}{2},\frac{-1}{2}\rangle\equiv |\beta\rangle\}## transform under the action of the operator i wish to represent. Then the columns of the matrix become the image of the basis vectors under the operation. However, I'm not sure what the eigenvectors (basis vectors) of ##S_x## are. On top of that, the actions of the operators i have supplied would no longer apply in a different basis, would they? I would prefer to do it via this method rather than using a similarity transform if possible. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2016 #2
    Would I do it by defining the operators as follows?

##\hat{S}^2|s,m_s\rangle=s(s+1)\hbar^2|s,m_s\rangle##
    ##\hat{S}_x|s,m_s\rangle=m_s\hbar|s,m_s\rangle##
    ##\hat{S}_+=\hat{S}_y+i\hat{S}_z##
    ##\hat{S}_-=\hat{S}_y-i\hat{S}_z##
    Which both imply that:
    ##\hat{S}_y=\frac{1}{2}(\hat{S}_++\hat{S}_-)##
    ##\hat{S}_z=\frac{1}{2}(\hat{S}_+-\hat{S}_-)##

And with the basis vectors of ##S_y##, ##|\alpha\rangle## and ##|\beta\rangle## defined as before?

4. Apr 21, 2016 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Which eigenvectors are they, ##S_x##, ##S_y##, or ##S_z##?
    Find out ##S_x## in matrix form in the basis of the eigenvectors of ##S_z## (this is the most common form found in any literature) then find its eigenvalues as well as its eigenvectors (in the basis of the eigenvectors of ##S_z##).
    The operator equations you wrote above are the action on an eigenvector of ##S_z##. Moreover, the forms of those equation are in the basis-free, operator forms, therefore no matter which basis you chose the form of the above equations will not change. However, if you redefine the notation ##|s,m_s\rangle## to be the eigenvector of ##S_x##, then those equations will indeed look different.
    It's not clear to me which method you were referring to. To be honest, in matrix form I know no other way to transform a matrix from one basis into another one unless using the usual similarity transformation.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  5. Apr 22, 2016 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This belongs in the advanced physics forum IMO.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted