1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the energy levels of a spin s = 3/2 particle

1. Nov 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the energy levels of a spin ##s=\frac{3}{2}## particle whose Hamiltonian is given by:

##\hat{H}=\frac{a_1}{\hbar^2}(\hat{S}^2-\hat{S}_x^2-\hat{S}_y^2)-\frac{a_2}{\hbar}\hat{S}_z## where ##a_1## and ##a_2## are constants.

2. Relevant equations

In the ##\hat{S}_z## basis ##\hat{S}_z## and ##\hat{S}^2## have the following matrix representations:

##\hat{S}_z=\frac{1}{2}\hbar\begin{bmatrix}1&&0\\0&&-1\end{bmatrix}##

##\hat{S}^2=\frac{3}{4}\hbar^2\begin{bmatrix}1&&0\\0&&1\end{bmatrix}##

3. The attempt at a solution

We can rewrite the Hamiltonian as follows:

##\hat{H}=\frac{a_1}{\hbar^2}(2\hat{S}_z^2-\hat{S}^2)-\frac{a_2}{\hbar}\hat{S}_z##

Subbing the matrices in the "relevant equations" I get the following matrix representation for the Hamiltonian:

##\hat{H}=\frac{-1}{4}\begin{bmatrix}a_1+2a_2&&0\\0&&a_1-2a_2\end{bmatrix}##

I'm not sure where to go from here... since ##s=\frac{3}{2}## then ##m_s=-\frac{3}{2},-\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2},\frac{3}{2}##. Is the next step to work out the energy for each of these ##m_s## values?
    So find: ##\langle\frac{3}{2},-\frac{3}{2}|\hat{H}|\frac{3}{2},-\frac{3}{2}\rangle,\langle\frac{3}{2},-\frac{1}{2}|\hat{H}|\frac{3}{2},-\frac{1}{2}\rangle,\langle\frac{3}{2},\frac{1}{2}|\hat{H}|\frac{3}{2},\frac{1}{2}\rangle,\langle\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}|\hat{H}|\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}\rangle,##? If so, I am a little confused as to the vector forms of some of those bras and kets.. Help is appreciated!

(Oh and by the way, my Lecturer made a mistake when he said a particle with spin s = 3/2, but he said to do the question regardless)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Those relations hold only for spin one-half particles. You don't need matrix representation actually, just use the fact that ##S^2 = S_x^2 + S_y^2 + S_z^2## to modify the first three terms contained in the bracket in the Hamiltonian.

4. Nov 22, 2015 #3
    Hi Blue leaf, I realised this after I made the post and I think I have the correct answer now.

I just have one question: Is there a convention as to which order you evaluate the different ##m_j## values when computing the matrix elements? Is it ascending or descending?

5. Nov 22, 2015 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

It is usually descending, just like for a spin-1/2 particle:
    $$\hat{S}_z=\frac{1}{2}\hbar\begin{bmatrix}1&0\\0&-1\end{bmatrix}$$

spin-3/2:
    $$\hat{S}_z=\frac{1}{2}\hbar\begin{bmatrix}3&0&0&0\\0&1&0&0\\0&0&-1&0\\0&0&0&-3 \end{bmatrix}$$
    But it is always better to specify which convention is used.

6. Nov 23, 2015 #5
    Ok thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted