Find the energy levels of a spin s = 3/2 particle

In summary, the Hamiltonian for a spin ##s=\frac{3}{2}## particle can be rewritten as ##\hat{H}=\frac{a_1}{4\hbar^2}(\hat{S}_z^2-\hat{S}_x^2-\hat{S}_y^2)-\frac{a_2}{2\hbar}\hat{S}_z## and the matrix elements for different ##m_j## values can be computed in descending order.
pondzo

Homework Statement

Find the energy levels of a spin ##s=\frac{3}{2}## particle whose Hamiltonian is given by:

##\hat{H}=\frac{a_1}{\hbar^2}(\hat{S}^2-\hat{S}_x^2-\hat{S}_y^2)-\frac{a_2}{\hbar}\hat{S}_z## where ##a_1## and ##a_2## are constants.

Homework Equations

In the ##\hat{S}_z## basis ##\hat{S}_z## and ##\hat{S}^2## have the following matrix representations:

##\hat{S}_z=\frac{1}{2}\hbar\begin{bmatrix}1&&0\\0&&-1\end{bmatrix}##

##\hat{S}^2=\frac{3}{4}\hbar^2\begin{bmatrix}1&&0\\0&&1\end{bmatrix}##

The Attempt at a Solution

We can rewrite the Hamiltonian as follows:

##\hat{H}=\frac{a_1}{\hbar^2}(2\hat{S}_z^2-\hat{S}^2)-\frac{a_2}{\hbar}\hat{S}_z##

Subbing the matrices in the "relevant equations" I get the following matrix representation for the Hamiltonian:

##\hat{H}=\frac{-1}{4}\begin{bmatrix}a_1+2a_2&&0\\0&&a_1-2a_2\end{bmatrix}##

I'm not sure where to go from here... since ##s=\frac{3}{2}## then ##m_s=-\frac{3}{2},-\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2},\frac{3}{2}##. Is the next step to work out the energy for each of these ##m_s## values?
So find: ##\langle\frac{3}{2},-\frac{3}{2}|\hat{H}|\frac{3}{2},-\frac{3}{2}\rangle,\langle\frac{3}{2},-\frac{1}{2}|\hat{H}|\frac{3}{2},-\frac{1}{2}\rangle,\langle\frac{3}{2},\frac{1}{2}|\hat{H}|\frac{3}{2},\frac{1}{2}\rangle,\langle\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}|\hat{H}|\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}\rangle,##? If so, I am a little confused as to the vector forms of some of those bras and kets.. Help is appreciated!

(Oh and by the way, my Lecturer made a mistake when he said a particle with spin s = 3/2, but he said to do the question regardless)

Physics news on Phys.org
pondzo said:

Homework Equations

In the ##\hat{S}_z## basis ##\hat{S}_z## and ##\hat{S}^2## have the following matrix representations:

##\hat{S}_z=\frac{1}{2}\hbar\begin{bmatrix}1&&0\\0&&-1\end{bmatrix}##

##\hat{S}^2=\frac{3}{4}\hbar^2\begin{bmatrix}1&&0\\0&&1\end{bmatrix}##
Those relations hold only for spin one-half particles. You don't need matrix representation actually, just use the fact that ##S^2 = S_x^2 + S_y^2 + S_z^2## to modify the first three terms contained in the bracket in the Hamiltonian.

Likes DrClaude
Hi Blue leaf, I realized this after I made the post and I think I have the correct answer now.

I just have one question: Is there a convention as to which order you evaluate the different ##m_j## values when computing the matrix elements? Is it ascending or descending?

pondzo said:
I just have one question: Is there a convention as to which order you evaluate the different ##m_j## values when computing the matrix elements? Is it ascending or descending?
It is usually descending, just like for a spin-1/2 particle:
$$\hat{S}_z=\frac{1}{2}\hbar\begin{bmatrix}1&0\\0&-1\end{bmatrix}$$

spin-3/2:
$$\hat{S}_z=\frac{1}{2}\hbar\begin{bmatrix}3&0&0&0\\0&1&0&0\\0&0&-1&0\\0&0&0&-3 \end{bmatrix}$$
But it is always better to specify which convention is used.

Likes pondzo
Ok thanks for the help!

What is a spin s = 3/2 particle?

A spin s = 3/2 particle is a type of fundamental particle found in quantum mechanics. It has a spin quantum number of 3/2, which determines its intrinsic angular momentum and other properties.

How do you find the energy levels of a spin s = 3/2 particle?

The energy levels of a spin s = 3/2 particle can be found using the formula E = (s(s+1)ħ^2)/(2I), where s is the spin quantum number, ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, and I is the moment of inertia of the particle.

What is the significance of finding the energy levels of a spin s = 3/2 particle?

The energy levels of a spin s = 3/2 particle provide important information about the behavior and properties of the particle. They can also be used to understand and predict the results of experiments involving the particle.

How does the spin quantum number of a particle affect its energy levels?

The spin quantum number of a particle directly affects its energy levels. A higher spin quantum number results in higher energy levels, indicating a higher energy state for the particle.

Can the energy levels of a spin s = 3/2 particle change?

Yes, the energy levels of a spin s = 3/2 particle can change depending on external factors such as interactions with other particles or changes in the particle's environment. These changes can result in shifts or splitting of the energy levels.