Find the energy levels of a spin s = 3/2 particle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
pondzo
Messages
168
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the energy levels of a spin ##s=\frac{3}{2}## particle whose Hamiltonian is given by:

##\hat{H}=\frac{a_1}{\hbar^2}(\hat{S}^2-\hat{S}_x^2-\hat{S}_y^2)-\frac{a_2}{\hbar}\hat{S}_z## where ##a_1## and ##a_2## are constants.

Homework Equations



In the ##\hat{S}_z## basis ##\hat{S}_z## and ##\hat{S}^2## have the following matrix representations:

##\hat{S}_z=\frac{1}{2}\hbar\begin{bmatrix}1&&0\\0&&-1\end{bmatrix}##

##\hat{S}^2=\frac{3}{4}\hbar^2\begin{bmatrix}1&&0\\0&&1\end{bmatrix}##

The Attempt at a Solution



We can rewrite the Hamiltonian as follows:

##\hat{H}=\frac{a_1}{\hbar^2}(2\hat{S}_z^2-\hat{S}^2)-\frac{a_2}{\hbar}\hat{S}_z##

Subbing the matrices in the "relevant equations" I get the following matrix representation for the Hamiltonian:

##\hat{H}=\frac{-1}{4}\begin{bmatrix}a_1+2a_2&&0\\0&&a_1-2a_2\end{bmatrix}##

I'm not sure where to go from here... since ##s=\frac{3}{2}## then ##m_s=-\frac{3}{2},-\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2},\frac{3}{2}##. Is the next step to work out the energy for each of these ##m_s## values?
So find: ##\langle\frac{3}{2},-\frac{3}{2}|\hat{H}|\frac{3}{2},-\frac{3}{2}\rangle,\langle\frac{3}{2},-\frac{1}{2}|\hat{H}|\frac{3}{2},-\frac{1}{2}\rangle,\langle\frac{3}{2},\frac{1}{2}|\hat{H}|\frac{3}{2},\frac{1}{2}\rangle,\langle\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}|\hat{H}|\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}\rangle,##? If so, I am a little confused as to the vector forms of some of those bras and kets.. Help is appreciated!

(Oh and by the way, my Lecturer made a mistake when he said a particle with spin s = 3/2, but he said to do the question regardless)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
pondzo said:

Homework Equations



In the ##\hat{S}_z## basis ##\hat{S}_z## and ##\hat{S}^2## have the following matrix representations:

##\hat{S}_z=\frac{1}{2}\hbar\begin{bmatrix}1&&0\\0&&-1\end{bmatrix}##

##\hat{S}^2=\frac{3}{4}\hbar^2\begin{bmatrix}1&&0\\0&&1\end{bmatrix}##
Those relations hold only for spin one-half particles. You don't need matrix representation actually, just use the fact that ##S^2 = S_x^2 + S_y^2 + S_z^2## to modify the first three terms contained in the bracket in the Hamiltonian.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DrClaude
Hi Blue leaf, I realized this after I made the post and I think I have the correct answer now.

I just have one question: Is there a convention as to which order you evaluate the different ##m_j## values when computing the matrix elements? Is it ascending or descending?
 
pondzo said:
I just have one question: Is there a convention as to which order you evaluate the different ##m_j## values when computing the matrix elements? Is it ascending or descending?
It is usually descending, just like for a spin-1/2 particle:
$$\hat{S}_z=\frac{1}{2}\hbar\begin{bmatrix}1&0\\0&-1\end{bmatrix}$$

spin-3/2:
$$\hat{S}_z=\frac{1}{2}\hbar\begin{bmatrix}3&0&0&0\\0&1&0&0\\0&0&-1&0\\0&0&0&-3 \end{bmatrix}$$
But it is always better to specify which convention is used.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pondzo