1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Requesting advice about teaching myself maths

1. Jun 1, 2012 #1
    Greetings all,

I am posting here for the first time and this is one of my first ever forum posts so if i have posted this in the wrong section i apologize and am open to constructive criticism so that i may direct future questions and such more accurately :)

I am a 22 year old Australian university student with little to no mathematical foundation. I blame no one other than myself for this neglect, however i have felt compelled for the last 3 years approximately, not only bring my math skills up to speed but to take them as far as possible.

Therefore i would be greatly appreciative if anyone could advice me on which software/website/other could help me to learn basic maths (addition/subtraction/multiplication/division) to calculus and beyond.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2012 #2
    I recommend you to visit Khan Academy.

It isn't quite rigourous (it's focused in teaching how do to things more than in why you can do them) but it should be enough for what you're looking for right now.

4. Jun 1, 2012 #3
    Thanks GaussGreyjoy this site seems really helpful!

5. Jun 1, 2012 #4
  6. Jun 1, 2012 #5
    Aside from the Khan Academy, look on iTunes U as they have a mountain of material available (all free of course, although be prepared as it will eat your bandwidth and HDD space). Youtube also has a lot of decent maths videos if you look around.

Also, try getting some books from the library. Nothing beats a good book with many questions to answer! :)

If you get stuck or have a question, ask here on PF.

7. Jun 2, 2012 #6
    I find it hard to believe that you have to learn basic arithmetics. Did your high school not cover that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook