Requesting advice about teaching myself maths

• Thread starter krixx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teaching
In summary, a 22-year-old Australian university student is seeking advice on how to improve their math skills from basic arithmetic to calculus and beyond. They have been recommended to visit Khan Academy and utilize resources such as the PF Math and Science learning materials subforum, iTunes U, and YouTube. They are also encouraged to use books from the library and ask for help on PF if needed.
krixx
Greetings all,

I am posting here for the first time and this is one of my first ever forum posts so if i have posted this in the wrong section i apologize and am open to constructive criticism so that i may direct future questions and such more accurately :)

I am a 22 year old Australian university student with little to no mathematical foundation. I blame no one other than myself for this neglect, however i have felt compelled for the last 3 years approximately, not only bring my math skills up to speed but to take them as far as possible.

Therefore i would be greatly appreciative if anyone could advice me on which software/website/other could help me to learn basic maths (addition/subtraction/multiplication/division) to calculus and beyond.

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend you to visit Khan Academy.

It isn't quite rigourous (it's focused in teaching how do to things more than in why you can do them) but it should be enough for what you're looking for right now.

Thanks GaussGreyjoy this site seems really helpful!

Aside from the Khan Academy, look on iTunes U as they have a mountain of material available (all free of course, although be prepared as it will eat your bandwidth and HDD space). Youtube also has a lot of decent maths videos if you look around.

Also, try getting some books from the library. Nothing beats a good book with many questions to answer! :)

If you get stuck or have a question, ask here on PF.

I find it hard to believe that you have to learn basic arithmetics. Did your high school not cover that?

1. What is the best way to teach myself maths?

The best way to teach yourself maths is to start with the basics and build a strong foundation. This includes reviewing and practicing fundamental concepts such as arithmetic, algebra, and geometry. It is also important to engage in problem-solving exercises and seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to supplement your learning.

2. How long does it take to learn maths on your own?

The time it takes to learn maths on your own varies depending on your starting level of knowledge and the amount of time you are able to dedicate to studying. It is important to set realistic goals and consistently practice and review concepts in order to make progress. With dedication and persistence, you can make significant strides in your mathematical abilities.

3. What are some helpful resources for teaching myself maths?

There are many resources available for teaching yourself maths, including online tutorials, textbooks, practice problems, and educational websites. It may also be helpful to join online communities or forums where you can ask questions and receive guidance from others who are also learning maths on their own.

4. How can I stay motivated while teaching myself maths?

Staying motivated while teaching yourself maths can be a challenge, but there are a few strategies that can help. Setting achievable goals, breaking up study sessions into manageable chunks, and rewarding yourself for progress can all help maintain motivation. Additionally, seeking out a study partner or joining a study group can provide accountability and support.

5. Is it possible to teach myself advanced maths?

Yes, it is possible to teach yourself advanced maths. However, it may require more time and effort compared to learning basic concepts. It is important to have a strong foundation in fundamental maths concepts before tackling more advanced topics. Additionally, seeking out resources and seeking guidance from experienced mathematicians can also be beneficial in learning advanced maths on your own.