Requirements are for entering a career in physics

In summary, the general requirements for entering a career in physics vary from college to college, but most schools have a general education requirement that includes courses in humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences. For example, Georgia Tech has a list of recommended courses for high school students and a course catalog that outlines the necessary requirements for a bachelor's degree in a particular major.
Haxx0rm4ster
Hi,
I'd like to know what the basic GENERAL requirements are for entering a career in physics. Are courses such as Humanities, or Fundamentals Of Speech ... required?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Haxx0rm4ster said:
Hi,
I'd like to know what the basic GENERAL requirements are for entering a career in physics. Are courses such as Humanities, or Fundamentals Of Speech ... required?

Thanks

It varies from college to college, but most if not all schools have some sort of general education requirement that requires you to take classes in humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.

just using Georgia Tech as an example of an averagely of fairly good universities, I tried to look for the requirements and this is what I found:

http://www.admiss.gatech.edu/transfer/coursereqs.php

Now, this doesn't mention any Humanities, etc. for any of their Majors branches.
Are the requirements mentioned all the requirements that someone is supposed to have to enter to GA TECH?

EDIT
Actually, I just found this: http://www.admiss.gatech.edu/freshman/req-engscicomp.html

And it does mention social sciences, but what are the units supposed to be? Credits?

Last edited by a moderator:
You're looking at the wrong things, the first link is of what you have to have to be admitted as a transfer student in a particular major, and the second seems to be the recommended courses taken in high school. Look at a course catalog for the school and it should list requirements for a bachelors degree in terms of necessary requirements and in terms of what is needed for a particular major.

1. What educational requirements are needed for a career in physics?

The minimum educational requirement for a career in physics is a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field such as mathematics or engineering. However, many employers prefer candidates with a graduate degree, such as a master's or doctorate, for more advanced positions.

2. Are there any specific skills or courses that are required for a career in physics?

In addition to a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, other important skills for a career in physics include critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Courses in computer science, programming, and laboratory techniques are also beneficial.

3. Do I need any previous research experience to enter a career in physics?

While previous research experience can be helpful, it is not always necessary for entering a career in physics. However, research experience can make a candidate more competitive for certain positions and can also provide valuable skills and knowledge for a career in physics.

4. Are there any specific certifications or licenses required for a career in physics?

In most cases, a professional certification or license is not required for a career in physics. However, some specialized positions, such as in nuclear or medical physics, may require additional certifications or licenses.

5. What types of industries or job opportunities are available for those with a career in physics?

A career in physics can lead to a wide range of job opportunities in various industries, including research and development, healthcare, energy, and aerospace. Physics graduates can also pursue careers in academia, teaching, or science communication.