1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Requirements are for entering a career in physics

1. Aug 16, 2006 #1
    Hi,
    I'd like to know what the basic GENERAL requirements are for entering a career in physics. Are courses such as Humanities, or Fundamentals Of Speech ... required?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2006 #2
    It varies from college to college, but most if not all schools have some sort of general education requirement that requires you to take classes in humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.

4. Aug 16, 2006 #3
    just using Georgia Tech as an example of an averagely of fairly good universities, I tried to look for the requirements and this is what I found:

http://www.admiss.gatech.edu/transfer/coursereqs.php

Now, this doesn't mention any Humanities, etc. for any of their Majors branches.
    Are the requirements mentioned all the requirements that someone is supposed to have to enter to GA TECH?

EDIT
    Actually, I just found this: http://www.admiss.gatech.edu/freshman/req-engscicomp.html

And it does mention social sciences, but what are the units supposed to be? Credits?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  5. Aug 16, 2006 #4
    You're looking at the wrong things, the first link is of what you have to have to be admitted as a transfer student in a particular major, and the second seems to be the recommended courses taken in high school. Look at a course catalog for the school and it should list requirements for a bachelors degree in terms of necessary requirements and in terms of what is needed for a particular major.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?