Research After Undergrad Graduation?

In summary, the speaker applied to medical school but is now considering applying to a physics graduate program due to their stronger grades and interest in physics. They are looking for post-undergraduate research opportunities and are wondering if they need to look outside of their smaller college. The conversation also mentions that applying to grad school primarily depends on grades, recommendations, and GRE scores, but research experience and programming skills can be beneficial. It is suggested to contact the physics departments of schools the speaker is interested in and inquire about research assistant positions.
mhockey14221
Hey all,

I applied to Med School last summer, and I thought I was a much stronger candidate than I really was. Long story short, it appears I may not attend med school and instead have considered applying to a physics grad program, as my grades (and interest) in physics are stronger than my pre-med courses.

The problem is, I have had one half-assed research stint that didn't really go anywhere and I'm leaving college in 2 months. I learned Fortran and some numerical methods, but I'd like something much more substantiative for applying to a grad school in 2010.

Where's a good place to look for post-undergrad research work? My college is a smaller school with no graduate level physics department, so I'd presume I'd have to look outside my school for work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Applying to grad school is mostly based on grades, recommendations, and GRE scores. Research experience and outside skills like programming are a nice bonus, although for an experimentalist I guess these things matter more. If you are into theory then I suggest asking a professor to give you a mathematical research problem for you to work on.

You might want to try schools that you are interested in pursuing graduate studies with. Contact the physics departments and ask if they have any research assistant positions available. Sometimes, you can even sneak in a grad application past the deadline depending on the school and the student. I wouldn't count on this though.

1. What are the benefits of pursuing research after graduating with an undergraduate degree?

There are many benefits to pursuing research after graduating with an undergraduate degree. First, it allows you to gain hands-on experience and develop critical thinking skills. Additionally, it can help you stand out in the job market and make you a more competitive candidate for graduate programs. Research also allows you to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in your field and make a meaningful impact.

2. How do I find research opportunities after I graduate?

There are several ways to find research opportunities after graduating with an undergraduate degree. You can start by reaching out to your professors and asking if they have any research projects you can assist with. You can also look for job postings or internships at research institutions or companies. Networking and attending conferences can also help you connect with potential research opportunities.

3. Do I need a graduate degree to do research after graduating with an undergraduate degree?

No, you do not necessarily need a graduate degree to do research after graduating with an undergraduate degree. Many research positions may require a graduate degree, but there are also opportunities for individuals with only an undergraduate degree. However, pursuing a graduate degree can provide you with more advanced research skills and open up more opportunities for research positions.

4. Can I do research in a different field than my undergraduate degree?

Yes, you can do research in a different field than your undergraduate degree. While having a background in a specific field can be beneficial, many research skills are transferable to different fields. It may require some additional training or learning, but it is possible to switch fields and pursue research in a different area.

5. How can I use my research experience after graduating with an undergraduate degree?

There are several ways you can use your research experience after graduating with an undergraduate degree. If you plan on pursuing a graduate degree, your research experience can make you a strong candidate for admission. You can also highlight your research experience on your resume and during job interviews to demonstrate your skills and dedication. Additionally, you can use your research experience to publish papers or present at conferences, which can help you build your professional network and contribute to your field.