1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Research: Applied vs. Fundamental

1. Jul 29, 2009 #1
    I'm graduating with a B.S. in physics and I will soon be starting a Ph.D. program in nanoscale science, which is essentially an applied physics program. I chose this program because my undergraduate research was focused in this area and I've really enjoyed it.

However, I'm wondering if my choice of Ph.D. program will limit my future opportunities to applied research only. There are some topics that I would love to research, such as particle physics, which are quite fundamental. Would I be able to get a post doc position in particle physics with a Ph.D. in nanoscale science, or would these positions only be offered to students that specifically researched particle physics as graduate students? At what point should you stop experimenting with different fields?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2009 #2
    If there is a shortage of particle physics PhD students then you might have a chance. But that's like saying if there is shortage of water in the UK then France might make some money exporting it. On the brighter side, the faculty job prospects are good for nanoscientists. And once you have tenure you can research what you want...

Reality check - you *have* stopped experimenting with different fields. You are now a nanoscientist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook