1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Research in Math History? Publication?

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1
    Ever since I (re)started my undergraduate mathematics studies I've been trying to get involved in some kind of research. Unfortunately it seems that most mathematics research is a bit out of reach for me until I get further along into my upper level classes. However, I have been taking a class on the early history of mathematics and I seriously enjoy it. I get so involved in some of these research papers I feel like I could continue on to a full thesis if I had the time (or a reason).

This is a topic that seems a bit more approachable with my math background (I will be finishing my third semester of calculus this semester). So I am wondering if anybody knows of undergraduate research opportunities for math history. I just found out about SMURCHOM - the Smoky Mountain Undergraduate Conference on the History of Mathematics. unfortunately it is 1) past the deadline for this year and 2) a biannual thing, so there is no "next year," only the year after next.

Do undergraduates publish papers in journals such as Historia Mathematica and so forth? Or is there another undergraduate publication that might accept work?

Thanks,

Dave K

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2012 #2
    Pardon the bump.

4. Apr 17, 2012 #3
    Sloan Despeaux would be a good person to talk to, even if it is too late to register. She could give you ideas about undergrad research in math history. I'm not sure, but I think Toval Foguel has to approve it anyway (if you go to WCU), so he may be a good person to talk about it.

By the way, do you go to Western? I'll be going there next year.

5. Apr 18, 2012 #4
    You know, I *just* found out about that undergraduate conference (SMURCHOM) - too late to do anything this year, and another doesn't occur until 2014. But you're right, perhaps I could contact one of those people directly?
    No, I'm at the University of South Florida. We have one lovable but ancient math history professor, already an emeritus, who is retiring (for real) next year. So I don't know if I'll have any good mentors here for this.

-Dave K

6. Apr 18, 2012 #5
    I've taken classes there and most of the professors seems really nice and glad to talk to anyone genuinely interested in their subject. I've never met Sloan personally, but I know a few of her colleagues and they're all nice. I'd bet she's probably very approachable, too.

7. Apr 18, 2012 #6
    I actually sent an e-mail to Dr. Despeaux. I'll see what she has to say. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook