Research styles in different branches of Physics

plasmon
Are the standards of studying/teaching methods same across different branches of theoretical physics like particle, astronomy and cosmology? For example we observe a lot of tours, events and conferences in institutes of astronomy and astrophysics, whereas particle and cosmologists are mostly used to confine themselves in isolation and bury themselves in mathematical and computational analysis.

Answers and Replies

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I wouldn't totally agree with you but I see where you are coming from. The reason for the perceived difference must be in the fact that aspects of astronomy etc. can be often communicated at a very simple level with the aid of images and reference to very 'mechanical' things like rocket engines and space travel. Otoh, Cosmology and Particle Physics both start off way beyond that level.
There is another point and that is that many people get the feeling that they are familiar with and understand what they are told by Astronomers, even when the don't actually get it. The other two disciplines can only really be communicated at the level of Maths and many people just don't want to go down that road.
That could sound like an elitist answer but I should point out that I am basically an Engineer so I am not part of any perceived Academic Elite group. (Note - none of 'em would be anywhere without a lot of help from us Engineers!)

Likes plasmon and Dale
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
Consider theoretical physics versus experimental physics. How do those people spend their days? There are similarities and big differences. Then we have research science, educational science, science in support of engineering, engineering in support of science, and management of science. The pie can be sliced many ways.

I don't think "standards" is the best word to describe the differences.

plasmon
Consider theoretical physics versus experimental physics. How do those people spend their days? There are similarities and big differences. Then we have research science, educational science, science in support of engineering, engineering in support of science, and management of science. The pie can be sliced many ways.

I don't think "standards" is the best word to describe the differences.
'
Researchers use "standards" to judge the field, in which they can work efficiently, i.e. work gets completed within time availibility of funds.

Last edited:

Suggested for: Research styles in different branches of Physics

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies