1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Researching different physics subtopics as an undergraduate

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    Is it normal for a undergraduate physics major to do undergraduate research in one physics topics for one year, then decide to study entirely different subfield of physics? For example , In my sophomore year, my may decide to join my professor's black hole research group ; but in my junior year I my interests may also be in quantum computing and may want to join that research group.

I'm interested in many physics subfields, but I don't want to get tied down to one physics subfield my entire undegraduate year. I would like to join different research groups until I find the physics subfield that most interest me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2
    Are you worried that you've offended someone by not going back to work for them again?

I think it's *expected* that undergrads will roam around and try different research topics.
  4. Sep 12, 2007 #3
    I think it's for the best if you do roam around and research different stuff. You get expose to more ideas and you get to a better feel for what different subfields of physics do. It'll help you make a better decision for grad school, and hopefully make you a better candidate too.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?