Resistance is known. Length of wire?

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula for calculating resistance in a 10 AWG Solid Copper wire. The formula is R = p x l / a, where p is the resistivity, l is the length in feet, and a is the area in circular mils. The speaker was initially struggling to reach the possible answers of 60.8 feet, 60.8 m, 6.1 m, and 200 inches, but later discovered that the professor had listed the wrong possibilities for l. The correct length is actually 608 meters.
SeptemberC
1. A 10 AWG Solid Copper wire has a resistance of 2 ohms. The wire length is?

2.Resistance = Resistivity x (Length/(V/L)) = Resistivity x (L^2/V).

3. 60.8 feet 60.8 m 6.1 m 200 inches are my possible answers

No matter what math I do. . .I can not reach any of the possible multiple choice answers. So my formula or math is wrong somewhere. Can someone please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula is correct. How did you calculate V?

The formula I used is: R = p X l / a

R = resistance of conductor, in ohms
p = resistivity of conducting material
l = length of conductor, in feet
a = area of conductor, in circular mils

Turns out the formula is correct. The professor listed the wrong possibilities for l. I just received the email from her confirming the error. Turns out that l = 608 meters. Thank you very much for your help.

What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or object opposes the flow of electric current. It is typically measured in units of ohms (Ω).

What factors affect the resistance of a wire?

The resistance of a wire is affected by its length, cross-sectional area, temperature, and the material it is made of. Longer wires have higher resistance, while thicker wires have lower resistance. As the temperature of a wire increases, its resistance also increases. Different materials have different resistivities, which affects their resistance.

How does the length of wire affect resistance?

The longer the wire, the higher its resistance. This is because as the length of the wire increases, the number of collisions between electrons and atoms also increases, impeding the flow of current and increasing resistance.

What is the relationship between resistance and wire length?

The relationship between resistance and wire length is directly proportional. This means that as the length of the wire increases, the resistance also increases proportionally. Similarly, as the length decreases, the resistance decreases proportionally.

Why is the resistance of a wire important to know?

The resistance of a wire is an important factor in designing and building electrical circuits. It helps determine the amount of current that will flow through a wire and can also affect the performance and efficiency of electronic devices. Understanding resistance is crucial in ensuring the safe and effective use of electricity.