Resistor value given capacitance and EMF with a resistance R after 3ms

In summary: Definitely worth checking out.This! It doesn't just give you the answer, it tells you a bit about how the equations work out. Definitely worth checking out.
kalm1307
Homework Statement
A capacitor with capacitance C=5.90 μF, initially uncharged, is connected to a source with emf ε=28.0 V and to a series resistance R. After 3.00 ms the charge on the capacitor is 100 μC. What is the value of resistor R in Ohms?
Relevant Equations
T=R/C
T=R/C
So:
0.003s=R/100μC
R=3*10^-7Ω
I am really confused with the equations I have to use

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kalm1307 said:
Homework Statement:: A capacitor with capacitance C=5.90 μF, initially uncharged, is connected to a source with emf ε=28.0 V and to a series resistance R. After 3.00 ms the charge on the capacitor is 100 μC. What is the value of resistor R in Ohms?
Relevant Equations:: I am not sure

I tried with T=R/C
So:
0.003=R/100μC
R=3*10^-7
I am really confused with the ecuations I have to use
The equations you have shown are not very helpful, especially since you have not described them and have not included units. :smile:

So on a problem like this, just think in terms of the RC time constant charging equation (can you show that?), and how the voltage on the capacitor involves the charge value that the problem is asking about.

Can you please try again, post the Relevant Equations with units, and show your new attempt? Thanks!

berkeman said:
The equations you have shown are not very helpful, especially since you have not described them and have not included units. :smile:

So on a problem like this, just think in terms of the RC time constant charging equation (can you show that?), and how the voltage on the capacitor involves the charge value that the problem is asking about.

Can you please try again, post the Relevant Equations with units, and show your new attempt? Thanks!
I have corrected everything you told me, do I have to post again my doubt?

kalm1307 said:
I have corrected everything you told me, do I have to post again my doubt?
I have no idea.

The relevant equation for the voltage on a charging capacitor in an RC circuit is:

$$V(t) = V_s (1- e^\frac{-t}{RC}) $$

Can you use that to figure out what the voltage is at the time specified, and translate that to the charge?

1651368632003.png

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capchg.html

I tried this equation:
Q=C*Vb*(1-e^(-t/RC)
And I solved the equation for R as follows:

100*10^-6C=5.0*10^-6F*28V(1-e^(-0.003s/R*(5.9*10^-6F))
R=546.92Ω

berkeman said:
I have no idea.

The relevant equation for the voltage on a charging capacitor in an RC circuit is:

$$V(t) = V_s (1- e^\frac{-t}{RC}) $$

Can you use that to figure out what the voltage is at the time specified, and translate that to the charge?

View attachment 300868
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capchg.html
I tried this equation:
Q=C*Vb*(1-e^(-t/RC)
And I solved the equation for R as follows:

R=546.92Ω

kalm1307 said:
R=546.92Ω
I think that is close to correct, but it's extremely hard to read without LaTeX formatting, plus I think you incorrectly put C=5.0uF as the first term on the RHS instead of 5.9uF.

It is also best to solve the equations symbolically first, and then substitute in the numbers in the last step to calculate the answer. In LaTeX:
$$Q(t) = C V(t)$$
$$Q(t) = C V_s (1-e^{- \frac{t}{R C}} )$$
$$\frac{Q(t)}{C V_s} = 1-e^{- \frac{t}{R C}} $$
$$e^{- \frac{t}{R C}} = 1- \frac{Q(t)}{C V_s}$$
Then how do you simplify the LHS to get rid of the exponential so that you can keep working toward finding R?

(BTW, if you click Reply to my last post, and toggle the "[ ]" BB code setting thing above the Edit window, you can see how easy it is to post these kind of math equations with LaTeX.)

Last edited:
berkeman said:
It is also best to solve the equations symbolically first, and then substitute in the numbers in the last step to calculate the answer.
This! It doesn't just give you the answer, it tells you a bit about how the equations work out.

Likes berkeman

What is the formula for calculating the resistor value given capacitance and EMF with a resistance R after 3ms?

The formula is R = (EMF * 3ms) / C, where R is the resistor value in ohms, EMF is the electromotive force in volts, and C is the capacitance in farads.

How do I determine the capacitance and EMF values needed to achieve a specific resistor value after 3ms?

You can rearrange the formula to solve for C or EMF. For example, if you know the desired resistor value and EMF, you can solve for C by dividing the product of R and 3ms by EMF. Alternatively, if you know the desired resistor value and capacitance, you can solve for EMF by multiplying the product of R and 3ms by C.

Can this formula be used for any type of circuit or only specific types?

This formula can be used for any type of circuit as long as the units of measurement are consistent (i.e. ohms for resistance, volts for EMF, and farads for capacitance).

What happens if the resistance value is changed after 3ms?

If the resistance value is changed after 3ms, the resulting capacitance and EMF values will also change. This formula only applies to the specific time frame of 3ms.

Is this formula accurate for all situations?

This formula is a simplified version of the more complex equations used in circuit analysis. It provides a good estimate for most situations, but may not be completely accurate in more complex circuits or when considering other factors such as temperature and frequency.