Solve emf of battery with resistors and voltmeter

In summary, two 9.4 k-ohm resistors are connected in series to a battery. A voltmeter of sensitivity 1000 ohm/V is on the 3-V scale and reads 2 V when placed across either resistor. The emf of the battery is 10 V.
saw176

Homework Statement

Two 9.4 k-ohm resistors are placed in series and connected to a battery. A voltmeter of sensitivity 1000 ohm/V is on the 3-V scale and reads 2 V when placed across either resistor. What is the emf of the battery? (Ignore it's internal resistance)

Homework Equations

V=IR
Emf = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I'm kind of unsure what "on the 3-V scale" means. My guess is that it means it takes 3 volts for a full-scale deflection of the voltmeter? Because it has a sensitivity of 1000 ohm/V and is reading 2 volts:
I = V/R
I = 2 V / 2000 ohm
I = 1 x 10-3A

Then I tried to find the total resistance of the circuit, first with the voltmeter and one resistor in parrallel and the other resistor in series:
1/R = 1/9.4 k-ohm + 1/2000 ohm = 1.65 k-ohm
R = 1.65 k-ohm + 9.4 k-ohm = 11.1 k-ohm

Finally, I went Emf = IR
Emf= 1 x 10-3 (11.1 k-ohm)
Emf = 11.1 V

The correct answer is 10 V, so my answer is close, but I am unsure if that's just by chance, because I never actually used the fact that the voltmeter is "on the 3.0 V scale". I really have no idea if my thought process is correct for this problem, am I on the right track?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The 3V scale means that if 3V is presented to the test leads, the meter pointer will have maximum deflection -- it will swing to the full scale position.

The Ohms-per-volt rating of a voltmeter is the resistance of the voltmeter divided by the full-scale reading. So in this case, if R is the resistance of the meter and it is set on the 3V scale, then R/3V = 1000 Ohms/Volt. You should be able to determine the actual resistance of the meter from that fact.

gneill said:
The 3V scale means that if 3V is presented to the test leads, the meter pointer will have maximum deflection -- it will swing to the full scale position.

The Ohms-per-volt rating of a voltmeter is the resistance of the voltmeter divided by the full-scale reading. So in this case, if R is the resistance of the meter and it is set on the 3V scale, then R/3V = 1000 Ohms/Volt. You should be able to determine the actual resistance of the meter from that fact.

Thanks, that makes sense. So the actual resistance of the meter would be 3000 ohm then, if I use R/3V = 1000 Ohms/Volt. I took this resistance and repeated my process:
I = 2 V/ 3000 ohm = 6.67 x 10-4A

Total Circuit resistance = 1/9.4 kohm + 1/3000 ohm = 2.27 k-ohm
2.27 kohm + 9.4 kohm = 11.67 k-ohm

Emf = 11.67 k-ohm (6.67 x 10-4A)
E = 7.78 Volts

So my process must still be wrong somewhere then to be getting an answer of 7.78? Thanks!

The problem is with your assumption that the current is flowing only through the meter. It flows through the parallel combination of the meter and one of the resistors. So think again about how you calculate the current.

Ah! Got it I think!

I = 2 / (2.27 k-ohm)
I = 8.81 x 10-4

Total resistance is still 11.67 k-ohm, so:

Emf= 8.81 x 10-4 (11.67 k-ohm)
Emf= 10.3 = 10 V

Thanks for your help!

1. What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromotive force and it is the measure of the energy that causes current to flow through a circuit. In simpler terms, it is the amount of energy that a battery can provide to a circuit.

2. How do you calculate the EMF of a battery?

The EMF of a battery can be calculated by multiplying the current (in amperes) by the resistance (in ohms) in the circuit.

3. Can EMF of a battery change with resistors in the circuit?

Yes, the EMF of a battery can change with resistors in the circuit. This is because the addition of resistors in a circuit can decrease the amount of current flowing through the circuit, which in turn can decrease the EMF of the battery.

4. What is the role of a voltmeter in measuring the EMF of a battery?

A voltmeter is used to measure the potential difference between two points in a circuit, which in this case is the EMF of the battery. It is connected in parallel to the battery and will display the voltage reading on its display.

5. How does the placement of resistors affect the EMF of a battery?

The placement of resistors in a circuit can affect the EMF of a battery. If the resistors are placed in series, the total resistance in the circuit will increase, resulting in a decrease in current and therefore a decrease in the EMF of the battery. If the resistors are placed in parallel, the total resistance in the circuit will decrease, resulting in an increase in current and therefore an increase in the EMF of the battery.