Resit English GCSE for PhD Application?

In summary: My maths and physics grades were BBB so I think I could still do it.Bear in mind that most universities will accept C grades in maths and physics, so don't stress if you don't get an A. In summary, your GCSEs won't be a big factor in your application to Oxbridge.
alias25
I was wondering...say if i wanted to apply for a phD at oxbridge (ok I am being a bit ambitious), would my GCSE results be looked at?...i mean would they be significantly important?
beacause my english lang/lit GCSE isn't good..C/C but that was on a very bad day and i thought i actually failed english. . I was wondering if i should resit...best time would be during the first year, because I've heard most things are repeated A level i could get away with B for maths GCSE i guess, because of A in A level.
And even if i just managed just to improve to BB then i'd still be apply to good unis.
my GCSE
5A* (phys, chem, bio, ICT, astronomy)
1A (art)
2B (math, french)
3C (english lang/lit, welsh short course)

1A AS: bio
3As A2: math,chem,phys

Plus ill have an MPhys degree (hopefully else i wouldn't be going for a phD)

(got nothing much to do except think about silly little things like this)

so should i resit english lang/lit GCSE?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I am starting a PhD this year and I don't actually remeber having to put down any of my GCSE results, they are interested in your ability at Physics, not your interpretation of Simon Armitage! The forms are online for most universities if you wanted to check, but I wouldn't worry, just get on with physics! And enjoy your time at uni!

I have a PhD from a top UK university - your GCSEs are better than mine... tho' I didn't work very hard in those days :biggrin:

In fact, my school grades are shocking :biggrin:

They'll never look at them.

If you've got A-C in maths, science and English, you're ok. But you won't be getting a Ph.D from Oxbridge with anything less than As at A level. Don't worry about your GCSEs, they're all fine.

I got into Natsci at Cambridge (undergraduate) and I have C/C in english GCSE, so i wouldn't worry.

1. What is the purpose of resitting English GCSE for a PhD application?

Resitting English GCSE for a PhD application is important because it demonstrates your proficiency in the English language, which is essential for pursuing a PhD. It also shows your commitment to improving and strengthening your language skills.

2. Can I apply for a PhD without a GCSE in English?

While it is not impossible to apply for a PhD without a GCSE in English, it is highly recommended to have this qualification. Most universities and PhD programs require applicants to have a certain level of proficiency in English, and having a GCSE in English is a great way to showcase this.

3. How will resitting English GCSE impact my PhD application?

Resitting English GCSE and achieving a good grade can significantly enhance your PhD application. It shows your dedication to improving your language skills and can make you a more competitive applicant. Additionally, it may also open up opportunities for scholarships or funding.

4. Is it possible to resit English GCSE as an adult?

Yes, it is possible to resit English GCSE as an adult. There are various options available, such as taking evening classes or online courses. It is important to research and find a reputable institution that offers the GCSE course and exam.

5. How can I prepare for resitting English GCSE for my PhD application?

To prepare for resitting English GCSE, it is important to familiarize yourself with the exam format and content. Practice past papers and seek guidance from a qualified tutor or teacher if needed. Additionally, make sure to allocate enough time for studying and stay consistent with your preparation.