Resonances of Cylindrical Shells with uniform radial pressure

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
thadman
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
I have picked up "Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain" and "Mechanical Vibrations" and have been unable to reach resolution on a particular problem.

I am interested in the behavior of a uniform cylindrical shell (cylinder diameter >> wall thickness) rigidly clamped at both ends wherein uniform radial pressure is applied over the surface area of the cylinder.

How can I calculate the compliance and modal pattern of such an arrangement?

Thanks,
Thadman
 
Physics news on Phys.org
you're trying to build a cylindrical ESL speaker aren't you ?

i was actually thinking of making a spherical one but it's probably not worth the trouble ...
 
Try:

Soedel, W., Vibrations of Shells and Plates, CRC Press (2004)

Timoshenko, S., Theory of Plates and Shells, McGraw Hill (1959)

Both of those have solutions for thin walled cylinders if memory serves correctly.