What pressure would a strain of 40 µε indicate?

In summary: I have no idea! I am working alone from the initial information provided. I am guessing it is the Von Mises Criterion as it appears to be the most widely used. I will have a go at the Von Mises formula and see if I can arrive at an answer. Thanks for your help!In summary, a cylindrical vessel with a diameter of 2m and length of 4m has a wall thickness of 6mm. Strain gauges are installed to measure hoop strain, and the material used has a Young's Modulus of 290 GN m^-2 and a yield stress of 500 MPa. The maximum allowable pressure can be calculated using the Von Mises criterion by dividing the yield stress by
Al_Pa_Cone said:
View attachment 111406
Sorry there was a problem with my answer when I didnt use a bracket when typing in 2*0.006 so it seperated.

This is my answer?
Yes. Of course, you'll need to do the arithmetic on the right hand side to come up with an actual number.

Likes Al_Pa_Cone
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I just wanted to check my method of transposition was correct prior to any further calculations. I have worked out the answer to be 81.88 x 10^-3 MPa

Does this look good?

Al_Pa_Cone said:
Yes, I just wanted to check my method of transposition was correct prior to any further calculations. I have worked out the answer to be 81.88 x 10^-3 MPa

Does this look good?
Yes, aside from a need to address the significant figures issue. Your answer is the same as 82 KPa.

Likes Al_Pa_Cone
Great! Thank you!

hello,i am stuck with the last question,how you get the 81.88 Mpa?i tryed the equation you used but it gives different number,didyou used a different equation for the solution?i d appreciate your help,thx in advance

what have you got so far?

P = (290000/ 1/0.006 - 0.3 x 1/2 x 0.006) x 0.00004 = 0.0008367398 ,i used the equation that chestermiller suggested you to use,is this wrong?completelly stuck on this problem,didnt plan to combine the two equations,and we miss the poisons ratio that's why i saw your solution but didnt what you got,got any idea?

I will take a look back through this tonight when i get a chance. I think you may have a rounding error somewhere.
I had to factorise the equation and transpose it to get my answer, but it was a jerk to figure out.

Are you doing your HNC at tees uni as well then?

thank for your help i m not here to get just the answers because i want to learn these things but i got stuck with this one,i coudnt find a solution, i saw your posts and it was the only way to find a answer but i coudnt get the numbers...,yes i m doing the HNC at tees,very convenient because i work and i can study when i can,,for the first question you divided by 4 to get the right number or the 3 Mpa is enough? I will wait for your reply,thank you again

I think your problem is the brackets are missing around the denominator part of that equation. It should be:

Also I received some good advice from a guy on here, it was reflected in my mark from the tutor when he commented on my assignment. The advice was to write down the units into the equations as well, because it helps find out where mistakes have been made.

[(290000 G Nm^-2 ) / (1 m / 0.006 m) - 0.3 x (1 m / (2 x 0.006 m)) ]x 0.00004 = P

This input into a scientific calculator would give the answer 81.88 x 10^-3 in Mega Newtons which is equal to 82 kN when rounded

how many modules have you done then? maybe you could help me with some of my other assignments?

Hi Al, how did you go with question 5 part c of this assignment? I'm also doing the same tees assignments as you but hit a wall on q5c. I've slipped up by having to work a lot lately and am struggling to get back into it!

Last edited:
I have made several attempts but keep going wrong, I've followed you last thread on it but can see how you made it work? i can't get the EI side of it out of my head as I've worked that out to be 113.4knm and that don't fit into you way of working. I'm going to work for a couple of hours now and going to have a go when i get back in, if it can't get it I'm going to do question 6 and submit it see if i get a pass!
Out of interest this is my 4th module, how far on are you?

Last edited:

Last edited:
Fair play to you for sticking with it. I'm into the mechanical side of things so don't really deal with beams but i should be able to understand it.
What side of work do you want to be in? civils? Thanks so much for the start, I'm going to push the EI working out to one side take your start and go back to the lessons.

by the way I've done analytical methods, Engineering science, Applications of pneumatics and hydraulics so if i can help with those let me know. it was all going well till this bl**dy question!

Last edited:
I started as a motorcycle tech and went into heavy rotating plant so we aint that different! I'm happy with my job but wanted to do this as a fall back in case things change.
yes the ones above have all been marked, mainly merits and distinctions with one pass as i sent the wrong sheet in (idiot)

Last edited:
Thanks, i will look at i when i get back in

thank you for your reply, just a question,the 290000 is Mn m ^-2 ? and not the Gn ,still i got the same though... P=(290000/166.666666667 - 0.3 x 83.3333333333)x 0.00004 , P= (290000/13863.8888889)x 0.00004, P = 0.0008367398 (i divide the 1/ 0.006 to get the 166... and the 1/2 x 0.006 to get the 83...what am i doing wrong?this is my thrid one i finished analytical methods and Engineering science and after this one i will take the Applications Of Pneumatics And Hydraulics,Engineering Thermodynamics,Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer And Combustion

Last edited:

Last edited:
i m just using the calculator from my laptop,and i was getting that result,thank you for your help if there is anything i can help you,just tell me

Hello I have literally just started question 5c and question 6 and I'm a bit stuck, can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance.