[Material Science] Thin Walled Cylinders & Yield Criterion

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of predicting internal pressures that will cause yield in a cylindrical boiler shell with given dimensions and material properties. The four criteria used are Rankine, Max. Principal Strain, Tresca, and Von Mises. A mistake in the algebraic solution is identified and corrected with the help of another source. The conversation then moves on to discussing failure criterion.
MarleyDH

Homework Statement

A long cylindrical boiler shell is 1.75 m in diameter and has a wall thickness of 12 mm. Treating the boiler as a thing shell, predict what internal pressures will produce yield in the shell according to the: (a) Rankine, (b) Max. Principal Strain, (c) Tresca and (d) Von Mises Criteria.

σyield = 300 MPa, E = 200 GPa, v = 1/3)

Homework Equations

The only issue I am having here is with the Von Mises criteria, which states for plane stress:

σ12 + σ1·σ2 + σ22 = σyield2

σhoop = P·D/2·t
σaxial = P·D/4·t

The Attempt at a Solution

So all good and well, I attempt the solution but get a value of 3.11 MPa, which is incorrect according to the answer. (4.75 MPa)

I then rechecked my results and did a google search. This lead me to a site which boiled the math down to a similar problem to:

σyield = sqrt(3)·(P·D/4·t)

When I use this equation, I get the correct answer.

I then reattempted my algebra and get to this:

(P·D/2·t)2 + (P·D/2·t)·(P·D/4·t) + (P·D/4·t)2 = σyield2

What am I missing here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

- MarleyDH

Physics news on Phys.org
MarleyDH said:
σ12 + σ1·σ2 + σ22 = σyield2
Wrong. Read more carefully.

Ah right. Saw my mistake, the cross terms should be a preceded with a minus sign. Thanks for the assistance once again nvn. Now its on to failure criterion!

What is a thin-walled cylinder?

A thin-walled cylinder is a type of structural element with relatively small wall thickness compared to its diameter. It is commonly used in engineering designs for pressure vessels, pipes, and other cylindrical structures.

What is the yield criterion for thin-walled cylinders?

The yield criterion for thin-walled cylinders is the von Mises criterion, which states that yielding will occur when the von Mises equivalent stress at any point in the cylinder reaches the yield strength of the material.

What factors affect the strength of thin-walled cylinders?

The strength of thin-walled cylinders is affected by several factors, including the material properties, wall thickness, and internal or external pressure. Additionally, the presence of stress concentrations and imperfections can also impact the strength of the cylinder.

How is the failure of thin-walled cylinders predicted?

The failure of thin-walled cylinders can be predicted by using analytical or numerical methods, such as the finite element method. These methods take into account the material properties, geometry, and loading conditions to determine if the cylinder will fail under a given set of conditions.

What are some applications of thin-walled cylinders in material science?

Thin-walled cylinders have a wide range of applications in material science, including in the aerospace, automotive, and construction industries. They are commonly used as pressure vessels, pipes, and storage tanks, and are also utilized in the manufacturing of metal containers and structures.