Resources on Gear Cutting Machines

In summary, the conversation discusses the interest in learning about the creation of original gear cutters, specifically looking at Polhem's manually operated gear-cutting machine and Whitworth's design. The speaker is having trouble finding detailed information on how these machines worked and is looking for helpful resources that explain the mathematics and parts used. The conversation mentions several sources, such as the website gracesguide.co.uk, books on the development of early machine tools, and libraries and museums that have information and exhibits on these machines. The speaker expresses gratitude for the shared sources and notes that there is a wealth of information in books and museum exhibits on this topic.
enJayneering
I'm interested in learning about how original gear cutters were made, such as Polhem's manually operated gear-cutting machine or Whitworth's design. So far, I have only been able to find very brief or vague description on how they worked. Any helpful resources that explain the mathematics and parts utilized to create such machines is much appreciated! I am working on a project that requires the skills to create my own tools. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Category:Machine_Tools

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=mLUclpsfTeQC&pg=PA694&lpg=PA694&dq=whitworth+gear+cutting&source=bl&ots=-jWHW7tgtz&sig=h_TUKO6027pE5C3OSYpjML9RHKo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi52ba8mODKAhVH7BQKHWBWBjoQ6AEIMjAD#v=onepage&q=whitworth gear cutting&f=false

https://www.imeche.org/libraries-archive

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/visitmuseum/new_galleries/research_centre

There is a large amount of information on development of early machine tools but not much of this has found it's way to the internet - bulk of information is in books , papers and museum exhibits .

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! I had already stumbled upon a few of the sources you mentioned, but I didn't realize there was libraries of old articles and drawings of some of these machines. I definitely have a lot to sift through. Thanks again!

What is a gear cutting machine?

A gear cutting machine is a type of machine tool used to produce gears by cutting teeth into a workpiece. It is an essential tool in the manufacturing industry and is commonly used in the production of various mechanical components.

What are the different types of gear cutting machines?

There are various types of gear cutting machines, including gear hobbing machines, gear shaping machines, gear shaving machines, gear grinding machines, and gear honing machines. Each type has its unique features and is used for specific applications.

What are the advantages of using gear cutting machines?

Gear cutting machines offer several advantages, including high precision, accuracy, and repeatability of gear production. They also allow for mass production of gears, reducing production time and costs. Moreover, gear cutting machines can produce a wide range of gear sizes and types, making them versatile and efficient.

What factors should be considered when choosing a gear cutting machine?

When selecting a gear cutting machine, factors such as the type of gears to be produced, the required accuracy and precision, production volume, and budget should be taken into consideration. It is also essential to choose a reputable and reliable manufacturer to ensure the quality of the machine.

How do I maintain a gear cutting machine?

Regular maintenance is crucial for the proper functioning of gear cutting machines. This includes cleaning, lubricating, and inspecting the machine for any wear and tear. It is also essential to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and schedule routine maintenance checks to avoid any unexpected breakdowns.