Resultant Vectors and Equilibriant Vectors

In summary, the Equilibrant vector is the force that brings an object to equilibrium when forces are equal, but opposite each other.
ME_student
Question: How do the Equilibrant and Resultant vectors relate to each other?
My answer: They relate to each other because they are both vectors. Equlibrant is when forces are equal, but opposite each other, thus brings an object to an equilibriam state. A resultant vector is two or more vectors acting on an object in opposite directions which will cancel the forces making it zero.

So do they both mean the same thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
ME_student said:
Equlibrant is when forces are equal, but opposite each other
No, that's equilibrium. The equilibrant is a force - what force?

haruspex said:
No, that's equilibrium. The equilibrant is a force - what force?

Well, that is what it says in my prelab assignment. It says, "A force equal to but opposite in direction to the resultant is called the equilibrant, E, and is that force which, together with the resultant force, will produce equilibrium, i.e. E+R=0.

ME_student said:
Well, that is what it says in my prelab assignment. It says, "A force equal to but opposite in direction to the resultant is called the equilibrant, E, and is that force which, together with the resultant force, will produce equilibrium, i.e. E+R=0.
Yes, but you wrote "Equilibrant is when forces are equal", which describes a circumstance, namely, equilibrium.
The equilibrant should properly be defined as 'that force which if added to the system would produce equilibrium'. From Newton's laws it follows that it is equal and opposite to the resultant.

the resultant force is kind of like the total of all vectors, and the equilibrant is 180 degrees around and is the force that would balance the resultant

a perfect example is a force table. 0 degrees at north, 90 east, 180 south, 270 west.

force 1 = 50 Newtons @ 35deg
force 2 = 200 Newtons @ 120 deg
force 3 = 19 Newtons @ 200 deg

if you calculate the resultant of each individual force and add those resultants together using vector addition (tip to tail) the equilibrant will be the vector that connects them into a closed polygon.

or in actuality you would calculate the sum X and Y forces and the resultant of that is the "resultant force" and the equilibrant is the "resultant force plus 180 degrees"

ie: if your table pivots in the middle and has some weight hanging off one side it will be lopsided, and the equilibrant will be the force that makes it level again, and just to clarify the resultant is the direction and magnitude of the lopsidedness.

agm1984 said:
the resultant force is kind of like the total of all vectors, and the equilibrant is 180 degrees around and is the force that would balance the resultant

a perfect example is a force table. 0 degrees at north, 90 east, 180 south, 270 west.

force 1 = 50 Newtons @ 35deg
force 2 = 200 Newtons @ 120 deg
force 3 = 19 Newtons @ 200 deg

if you calculate the resultant of each individual force and add those resultants together using vector addition (tip to tail) the equilibrant will be the vector that connects them into a closed polygon.

or in actuality you would calculate the sum X and Y forces and the resultant of that is the "resultant force" and the equilibrant is the "resultant force plus 180 degrees"

ie: if your table pivots in the middle and has some weight hanging off one side it will be lopsided, and the equilibrant will be the force that makes it level again, and just to clarify the resultant is the direction and magnitude of the lopsidedness.

Okay thanks.

1. What is a resultant vector?

A resultant vector is a single vector that represents the sum of two or more vectors. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the individual vectors to determine the overall effect.

2. How do you calculate the resultant vector?

The resultant vector can be calculated using vector addition, which involves breaking down each vector into its horizontal and vertical components, and then adding these components together to find the resulting vector's magnitude and direction.

3. What is an equilibrant vector?

An equilibrant vector is a vector that has the same magnitude as the resultant vector, but in the opposite direction. It is used to balance out the effect of the other vectors in a system, resulting in a net force of zero and achieving equilibrium.

4. How do you find the equilibrant vector?

The equilibrant vector can be found by taking the negative of the resultant vector's magnitude and direction. This will result in a vector that, when added to the other vectors, will result in a net force of zero and achieve equilibrium.

5. Can the resultant vector and equilibrant vector ever be equal?

No, the resultant vector and equilibrant vector can never be equal. This is because the resultant vector is the sum of all the vectors in a system, while the equilibrant vector is the negative of the resultant vector and is used to balance out the other vectors. Therefore, they will always have the same magnitude but opposite directions.