1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resultant velocity from easterly and northerly components

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1
    The easterly and northerly components of a car’s velocity are 24 m/s and 30 m/s, respectively. In what direction and with what speed is the car moving? In other words, what is car’s velocity. Hint: this question requires input from Trigonometry for the right angle triangle.
    Thus, the car was moving with the velocity of 38 m/s [E510N] (or, to the north of due east).

I have no clue with this one ... can someone please help me?..
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2007 #2
    Velocity is a vector and we're given the components of the velocity vector. How do we find the magnitude of a vector?
  4. Nov 5, 2007 #3
    I don't know T.T
  5. Nov 5, 2007 #4
    Ok, forget about velocity for a second. Say we move 24m east, then move 30m north what's the total distance we have gone? On a coordinate system say we started at (0,0) now we're at (24,30) right? How do we find the total distance?
  6. Nov 5, 2007 #5
    what about thinking it as pathagorean theorem. Hypotenuse?
  7. Nov 5, 2007 #6
    Is there like a formula or something...? because its really confusing..
  8. Nov 5, 2007 #7
    The magnitude of a vector is the square root of the sum of its components squared. I'm sure you're confused by now, I know I'd be, so here's a usefull formula you should remember:

[tex]\vec v = \sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2}[/tex]
  9. Nov 5, 2007 #8
    We can use the distance formula which (kinda what antineutron is saying) will give us the distance.

Magnitude: [tex]|\vec v| = \sqrt{v_x^2+v_y^2}[/tex]

Direction: [tex]\theta = \arctan{\frac{v_y}{v_x}}[/tex]
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  10. Nov 5, 2007 #9
    ok i thinkk i get it ... Thank youvery much everyone. ^^
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?