1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors and Components-Part One

1. Dec 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An aircraft is traveling at 200 mi/h on a heading of 38 degrees. Find the northerly and easterly components of its velocity.

2. Relevant equations
    Sine=opposite/hypotenuse
    Cosine=adjacent/hypotenuse

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem states that the angle given is a heading. In order to use our equations, it is best to convert to our non-heading angle. I don't know what that's called, but it's 52 degrees. So to find the northerly component, I did 200cos(52) and got 123.1 mi/h. To get the easterly component, I did 200sin(52) and got 157.6 mi/h. Are these the right answers so far? Do I need to convert back to a "heading" answer? How would I do that?

Thanks so much for a helpful and descriptive answer! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2013 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A heading in aviation terms is measured clockwise frpm magnetic north. If the airplane is heading 38 degrees, it means it is moving in a direction 38 degrees east of north, that is, in a generally northeast direction. The problem should more specifically state or sketch the heading, often denoted for this case as N 38 E. in which case , the northerly component of the velocity is 200 cos 38 or 200 sin 52, whichever triangle you choose(draw a sketch!).

4. Dec 29, 2013 #3
    Okay, I think I got all that. :-) I forgot to mention that I already drew a diagram. The problem isn't any more specific than I indicated, unfortunately. Are you stating that my answer for the northerly component is correct?

Thank you! :smile:

5. Dec 29, 2013 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your answer is incorrect. The plane is heading 038 degrees per its compass reading at a speed of 200 mph. Its northerly component is 200 cos 38, not 200 cos 52. Please look at your sketch again to confirm this result.

6. Dec 29, 2013 #5
    I think I see what you're saying. I should have made my sketch larger and neater. I got it backwards, right? It would be 200 sin 52 if I were to use the this angle, correct?

7. Dec 29, 2013 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct!

8. Dec 29, 2013 #7
    So the northerly component is 157.6 mi./h. Thank you! Was the easterly component correct?

9. Dec 29, 2013 #8

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why no the easterly component is incorrect...what should it be ?

10. Dec 29, 2013 #9
    Is is 123.1 mi./h? Just for clarity, I got the right answer for the northerly component, correct?

Thanks!

11. Dec 30, 2013 #10

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes both values for the northerly and easterly components are now correct. ( You might want to round them off however at least to the nearest whole number with no decimal point. ).

12. Dec 30, 2013 #11
    So just 158 mi/h and 123 mi/h. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted