1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Job Skills Resume Dilemma with 1st B.A. Degree

1. Jul 22, 2009 #1
    Long story short, I'm pursuing a second degree (u.s.) in engineering after having received my B.A. in the liberal arts. I also have some graduate-level credits.

My concern right now is getting some work experience while in school. I do have some technical skills under my belt, but I'm worried that degree may actually be a liability on my resume. Putting myself into the shoes of a potential employer, even one simply hiring for a student/part-time position, I might question the motivations of someone like myself, and simply pass the application up for someone a bit younger.

I've thought about only putting the most recent education on any apps and my resume, but I have a solid year of relevant work experience coming from being a research assistant at my previous university. Maybe I could list skills/objectives first and put education last?

So, I have a dilemma. How can I best highlight my recent educational experience while maximizing the benefits of having that B.A.? Should I just lay my hopes on the whims of a hiring manager letting me in to an interview where I can explain and justify my varied experience?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't understand why a liberal arts degree would be a liability. Passing you up for someone younger (by the 4 years) is highly unlikely unless you're applying for something like 'go-go dancer.' You've obviously decided to pursue something else, but having a degree will demonstrate (a) that you're a well-rounded individual, and (b) compared to other 'students' who may be competing for the position you have a demostrated ability to achieve your goals.

A resume should be specifically tailored to the position you're applying for. Naturally you want to highlight the most relevant qualifications first. Your school's job placement and career services office will likely be able to suggest the best format for a particular job.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook