Retaining Linear Terms of v and δ in Expansion Calculations

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Apashanka
Messages
427
Reaction score
15
While doing some calculations I came across some terms which are ##\frac{(v•\vec \nabla)v}{a(t)}## and ##\vec \nabla•[\rho(1+\delta)v]## where all quantities have spatial dependence other than "a" which has only time dependence ,
the first term here is canceled and the the second term is rewritten as ##\frac{\rho(\nabla•v)}{a}## and the argument is given "retaining only linear terms of ##v /\delta##"
Can anyone please help me in how to check this out??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mathman said:
Presumably ##|\frac{\nu}{\delta}|## is small.
Sorry I didn't got ,it's linear terms of "##v##" or "##\delta##"
 
Apashanka said:
Sorry I didn't got ,it's linear terms of "##v##" or "##\delta##"

Why would "[itex]v/\delta[/itex]" mean anything other than [itex]v[/itex] divided by [itex]\delta[/itex]? If you mean terms linear in two independent variablews, say "linear in [itex]v[/itex] and [itex]\delta[/itex]".

If [itex]|\epsilon| \ll 1[/itex] is small, then the most significant terms are those independent of [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and those which are linear in [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. Higher order terms can be neglected.
 
Apashanka said:
Sorry I didn't got ,it's linear terms of "##v##" or "##\delta##"
Linear in the ratio ##\frac{\nu}{\delta}##.
 
Apashanka said:
and the argument is given "retaining only linear terms of ##v /\delta##"
Apashanka said:
Sorry I didn't got ,it's linear terms of "v" or "δ"

mathman said:
Linear in the ratio ##\frac{\nu}{\delta}##.
I believe that linear in the ratio is the only reasonable meaning. I sincerely doubt that "/" should be interpreted as "or".