1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Retarded Potential of Moving Charge

1. Apr 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate [itex] \phi_{ret} [/itex] for a charge moving with constant v, along the x-axis.

2. The attempt at a solution

$$
    \phi = q \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\delta(x' - vt')}{|\vec{r} - \vec{r}'|} dx'.
    $$

I then use the Dirac delta relation,

$$
    \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta[f(x)]g(x) = \frac{g(x_o)}{|f'(x_o)|}.
    $$

Where [itex]x_o[/itex] is the solution of [itex]f(x_o) = 0.[/itex]

I am not really sure how to do this, except that

$$
    \begin{eqnarray}
    f(x) &=& x' - vt', \\
    g(x) &=& \frac{1}{|\vec{r} - \vec{r}'|}.
    \end{eqnarray}
    $$

Which results in (I think),

$$
    \frac{1}{|\vec{r} - \vec{r}_o|}\frac{-1}{\frac{d(vt')}{dt}}.
    $$

Then I suppose I would substitute [itex] t' = t - |\vec{r} - \vec{r}_o|/c.[/itex] Looking at the derivative in the denominator I would get,

$$
    v \bigg( 1 - \frac{1}{c}\frac{d}{dt}|\vec{r} - \vec{r}_o| \bigg).
    $$

But here is where I get stuck (assuming I have not already made any mistakes).

Ok I was able to reach the final result for the derivative;

$$
    -v \bigg( 1 - \frac{v}{c} \frac{(\vec{x} - \vec{x}_o)}{|\vec{r} - \vec{r}_o|} \bigg)
    $$

however, I have a pesky -v term multiple to the result! Should I have written the delta as [itex] \delta(x' - v't') [/itex] instead of [itex] \delta(x' - vt')? [/itex]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2013 #2
    Ah, I think I figured it out. We are looking at the case where [itex] f(x_o) = 0 [/itex], so we just divide by v.

4. Apr 9, 2013 #3
    If anyone is keeping track, it turns out I should have been taking the derivative w.r.t x. . . [itex] f'(x_o) = \frac{d}{dx}f(x_o) [/itex]. Woops!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted