Retina Image Size: 43 ft Tree vs. 12 in Flower - Eye Distance Comparison

• Thread starter matt72lsu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Images
In summary, the larger image on the retina of your eye is determined by the size and distance of the object. In this case, the 43 ft tree seen from a distance of 210 ft would form a larger image compared to a 12 in flower viewed from a distance of 2.0 ft, assuming the distance from the lens to the image is the same. This is because the tree is larger in size and farther away, resulting in a larger angle and therefore a larger image on the retina.

Homework Statement

Which forms the larger image on the retina of your eye: a 43 ft tree seen from a distance of 210 ft, or a 12 in flower viewed from a distance of 2.0 ft?

Homework Equations

none?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand how you would go about working this out, but using my common sense, I'd imagine that it is the flower. However, I was wondering if anybody could guide me if there is in fact a particular way of figuring this out? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume the distance from the lens to the image is the same
Then it's just a question of which triangle has a larger angle.

1. How does the size of an image affect its appearance on the retina?

The size of an image can greatly impact its appearance on the retina. Larger images, such as the 43 ft tree, will appear more detailed and clearer compared to smaller images, like the 12 in flower. This is because larger images contain more visual information, allowing for a more accurate representation on the retina.

2. How does the distance between the eye and the object affect the image size on the retina?

The distance between the eye and the object can also greatly impact the image size on the retina. The closer the object is to the eye, the larger it will appear on the retina. This is due to the fact that the eye can only perceive a certain amount of visual information at a time, so the closer the object is, the more visual information is captured on the retina.

3. How does the size of an object affect its appearance on the retina?

The size of an object directly affects its appearance on the retina. As mentioned before, larger objects will appear more detailed and clearer compared to smaller objects. This is because larger objects contain more visual information, allowing for a more accurate representation on the retina.

4. How does the retina process images of different sizes?

The retina processes images of different sizes by adjusting the amount of visual information captured and transmitted to the brain. When an image is larger, the retina will capture and transmit more visual information, resulting in a clearer and more detailed image. When an image is smaller, the retina will capture and transmit less visual information, resulting in a less detailed image.

5. Can the size of an image on the retina be altered by changing the distance between the eye and the object?

Yes, the size of an image on the retina can be altered by changing the distance between the eye and the object. As mentioned before, the closer the object is to the eye, the larger it will appear on the retina. Likewise, the farther the object is from the eye, the smaller it will appear on the retina. This is due to the way the eye captures and transmits visual information based on the distance of the object.

Suggested for: Retina Image Size: 43 ft Tree vs. 12 in Flower - Eye Distance Comparison

Back