Retina Image Size: 43 ft Tree vs. 12 in Flower - Eye Distance Comparison

  • Thread starter Thread starter matt72lsu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Images
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
matt72lsu
Messages
94
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Which forms the larger image on the retina of your eye: a 43 ft tree seen from a distance of 210 ft, or a 12 in flower viewed from a distance of 2.0 ft?


Homework Equations


none?


The Attempt at a Solution


I don't really understand how you would go about working this out, but using my common sense, I'd imagine that it is the flower. However, I was wondering if anybody could guide me if there is in fact a particular way of figuring this out? Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Assume the distance from the lens to the image is the same
Then it's just a question of which triangle has a larger angle.