1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

REU and Graduate School (Mat Sci)

1. Mar 9, 2010 #1
    Hello,
    Im looking for some advice. I have been accepted to REUs at Penn State, UPenn, and Notre Dame. I have been waitlisted at Northwestern and UC-Santa Barbara (all for Mat Sci/physics). My question is if doing an REU at a school helps in going to graduate school there. I am thinking about applying to grad school at all of these places. I have personal/ family reasons to go to Penn; but UCSB and Northwestern are ranked higher (lets just say that I get those two, hypothetically). I would just like to know if going to an REU at a school helps with getting into grad school.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2010 #2
    I am probbably not the best person to comment on this, but i would say that if you manage to impress them during the REU there, then your chances for getting in that school's grad program would certainly be higher.

4. Mar 12, 2010 #3
    1. Do the REU at X University.
    2. Do good work and impress your PI.
    3. Get letter of recommendation from PI at X University.
    4. Apply to said university.
    5. Profit????

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook