• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

REU and Graduate School (Mat Sci)

• Schools
  • Thread starter Goalie33
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello,
Im looking for some advice. I have been accepted to REUs at Penn State, UPenn, and Notre Dame. I have been waitlisted at Northwestern and UC-Santa Barbara (all for Mat Sci/physics). My question is if doing an REU at a school helps in going to graduate school there. I am thinking about applying to grad school at all of these places. I have personal/ family reasons to go to Penn; but UCSB and Northwestern are ranked higher (lets just say that I get those two, hypothetically). I would just like to know if going to an REU at a school helps with getting into grad school.
Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Hello,
Im looking for some advice. I have been accepted to REUs at Penn State, UPenn, and Notre Dame. I have been waitlisted at Northwestern and UC-Santa Barbara (all for Mat Sci/physics). My question is if doing an REU at a school helps in going to graduate school there. I am thinking about applying to grad school at all of these places. I have personal/ family reasons to go to Penn; but UCSB and Northwestern are ranked higher (lets just say that I get those two, hypothetically). I would just like to know if going to an REU at a school helps with getting into grad school.
Thanks.
I am probbably not the best person to comment on this, but i would say that if you manage to impress them during the REU there, then your chances for getting in that school's grad program would certainly be higher.

1. Do the REU at X University.
2. Do good work and impress your PI.
3. Get letter of recommendation from PI at X University.
4. Apply to said university.
5. Profit????