REU and Graduate School (Mat Sci)

In summary, the person is seeking advice on whether participating in a Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program at a particular university can help in getting into their graduate school program. They have been accepted to REUs at Penn State, UPenn, and Notre Dame, and waitlisted at Northwestern and UC-Santa Barbara. They are considering applying to graduate school at all of these places and have personal/family reasons for wanting to attend Penn. However, UCSB and Northwestern have higher rankings. The expert suggests that doing well and impressing their PI during the REU, and obtaining a letter of recommendation from them, can increase their chances of getting into that university's graduate program.
Goalie33
Hello,
Im looking for some advice. I have been accepted to REUs at Penn State, UPenn, and Notre Dame. I have been waitlisted at Northwestern and UC-Santa Barbara (all for Mat Sci/physics). My question is if doing an REU at a school helps in going to graduate school there. I am thinking about applying to grad school at all of these places. I have personal/ family reasons to go to Penn; but UCSB and Northwestern are ranked higher (lets just say that I get those two, hypothetically). I would just like to know if going to an REU at a school helps with getting into grad school.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Goalie33 said:
Hello,
Im looking for some advice. I have been accepted to REUs at Penn State, UPenn, and Notre Dame. I have been waitlisted at Northwestern and UC-Santa Barbara (all for Mat Sci/physics). My question is if doing an REU at a school helps in going to graduate school there. I am thinking about applying to grad school at all of these places. I have personal/ family reasons to go to Penn; but UCSB and Northwestern are ranked higher (lets just say that I get those two, hypothetically). I would just like to know if going to an REU at a school helps with getting into grad school.
Thanks.

I am probbably not the best person to comment on this, but i would say that if you manage to impress them during the REU there, then your chances for getting in that school's grad program would certainly be higher.

1. Do the REU at X University.
2. Do good work and impress your PI.
3. Get letter of recommendation from PI at X University.
4. Apply to said university.
5. Profit?

1. What is an REU program?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a summer research opportunity for undergraduate students in the fields of science, engineering, and mathematics. It allows students to gain hands-on research experience and work with faculty mentors in their chosen field.

2. How can participating in an REU program benefit me for graduate school?

Participating in an REU program can benefit you in several ways for graduate school. First, it allows you to gain valuable research experience, which is highly valued by graduate programs. Additionally, you can establish connections with faculty mentors and potential letter writers for your graduate school applications. REU programs also provide opportunities for networking and attending workshops on graduate school preparation.

3. Is it necessary to have prior research experience for an REU program?

No, it is not necessary to have prior research experience for an REU program. These programs are designed to introduce students to research and provide training and support throughout the summer. However, having some basic knowledge and skills in your chosen field can be helpful.

4. Can I use my REU experience for publication or presentation?

Yes, many REU programs encourage students to present their research at conferences or publish their work in journals. This can greatly enhance your graduate school applications and provide valuable experience in the research process.

5. How can I find REU programs in materials science?

You can find REU programs in materials science by searching online databases such as the National Science Foundation's REU Site Search or the American Physical Society's REU List. You can also check with your university's materials science department or career center for any available REU opportunities.