REUs for current sophomores (and other summer stuff)

In summary, if you are a sophomore, there is a chance of getting an REU, but it depends on the program and the year. It is polite to give professors at least a month to write your recommendations. If you do not want to try for an REU, other things that you can do this summer include tutoring, getting your own hours, and self-studying.
tourjete
So I'm beginning to look at REU stuff for the summer, and I have a few questions:

1) realistically, what are the chances of a current sophomore getting one? I'm getting the vibe that a lot of them are for current juniors (incoming seniors). I do have a semester of research experience, if that makes a difference.

If I do decide to do an REU, how long is it polite to give professors to write my recommendations? Should I ask them now via email or wait until I get back to school?

2) If I decide not to try for an REU, what are other good things that I could do this summer (that I could get paid for) I do have a job back home but it has nothing to do with physics and doesn't give me a lot of hours so I'd rather that be a last resort.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) It depends. Being a sophomore is perhaps a slight disadvantage as supposed to being a junior, but not by too much (again it depends on the places and the projects and whether you show that you know a decent amount of physics). REU admission is somewhat random because of the limited spots, so just apply to as many places as you can.

2) Do it now. Give your professors at least a month as a courtesy.

I'm also a rising junior. I was able to snag an REU last summer, as a rising sophomore, so I think you're chances should be fine. It's certainly a bit random, but cast a wide net.

You could tutor over the summer, get your own hours, and you'd still be doing something related to physics/math. It's probably also worthwhile to self-study some topics for your next semester, never hurts to get an extra look at material.

Thanks guys...dtl42, you say to cast a wide net. How many applications are normal for this type of thing? 5? 10? as many as I can without feeling like I'm burdening my recommenders by making them send my rec 7,000 places?

I think between 5 and 10 is good. The recs shouldn't be too bad, likely very repetitive, so it wouldn't be too much more work than doing a single one.

Last year, I only applied to 3 things and got lucky, I guess. I'm planning on around 5 apps this year. What subjects are you interested in?

I think there are usually a considerable amount of sophomores at REUs. In the one I went to last summer, there were 5 sophomores and 2 freshman out of 12 people (though like a few people were also thinking about graduating early?). So it's definitely possible.

I applied for about 10 REUs my sophomore year, and got offers from half of them (including several big-name programs) because I had already done research at my own institution previously. Ask your professors well ahead of time; never less than two weeks before the letter is due. And look into doing summer research at your own school as well, which can often pay.

1. What is an REU program?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a summer research program funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) that allows current sophomores and other undergraduate students to gain hands-on research experience in a specific field of science or engineering.

2. How do I apply for an REU program?

Each REU program has its own application process, but typically it involves submitting an online application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Some programs may also require a resume or writing sample. It's important to carefully review the application requirements and deadlines for each program you are interested in.

3. What are the benefits of participating in an REU program?

Participating in an REU program can provide valuable research experience, help develop important skills for graduate school or future careers, and allow for networking with professionals in your field of interest. It can also enhance your resume and make you a more competitive applicant for graduate school or future job opportunities.

4. Can I receive academic credit for participating in an REU program?

Some REU programs may offer academic credit, but this varies by program. It's important to check with your university and the specific REU program to see if academic credit is an option. Even if academic credit is not offered, the experience gained through an REU program is still highly valuable.

5. Are there other summer opportunities for undergraduate students besides REUs?

Yes, there are many other summer opportunities for undergraduate students, such as internships, fellowships, and research assistantships. These can be found through university career centers, professional organizations, and online databases. It's important to research and apply to multiple opportunities to increase your chances of being accepted.