1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rewriting an expression what math operation did my teacher do?

1. May 28, 2013 #1

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Rewriting an expression....what math operation did my teacher do?

I'm trying to see how did my teacher rewrite this expression in the following manner:

[Broken]

What mathametical operation did he do? I really can't see it...

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2013 #2

danago

Gold Member

Have you definitely copied it correctly? If the S2 term in the denominator were S2/C then it would seem that he divided the numerator and denominator by RLC.

4. May 28, 2013 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Simple algebraic manipulation, dividing the numerator by RCL and also the denominator.

He forgot 1/C in the denominator for S^2.

5. May 28, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It looks straightforward to me. Initially, there is "SL" in the numerator while after the "operation" there is "S/RC". So the "S" is left alone and we have divided the numerator by 1/LRC. Dividing the denominator by that same 1/LRC gives (RLS^2+ LS+ R)/RLC= S^2/C+ S/RC+ 1/LC, almost what you have. Either your teacher accidently dropped the "C" dividing S^2 or there is some physical reason (you don't say, but I would guess this is an "LRC circuit equation) why that can be done although it does not look likely.

6. May 28, 2013 #5

Femme_physics

Gold Member

You guys are right, I miscopied! It's RLCS^2 and not RLC^2 at the denominator of the first expression..oops. Thank you, though, because saying what mathmatical operation he did cleared it out for me :-) I re-solved it and got the same answer he did!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted