Solving Cosine of 330 Degrees: Conjugate Method vs. Alternative Method Explained

In summary: So the cosine of -30 degrees would be the same as the cosine of 330 degrees.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving for the cosine of 330 degrees without a calculator. The teacher used the conjugate angle method to get the answer 0.866, while the student used a different method but got a different answer. It is then clarified that the student's method was actually solving for the sine instead of the cosine, and the easiest way to remember the values is by looking at the unit circle with the angle counterclockwise from the x-axis. The conversation ends with the student understanding the concept and thanking the others for their help.
Hammad Shahid

Homework Statement

Cos(330 degrees)
*No calculator

Homework Equations

(a^2)+(b^2)=(c^2)
Cos=(delta x / hypotenuse)

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi guys, so today at school, the teacher was doing a problem which stated to solve the cosine of 330 degrees. The teacher used the conjugate angle method to get the answer 0.866.
However, I do not see what is wrong with my method (link to image will be below), because when I do it, I get -0.5. Please help, this has been frustrating me- I do not get why the conjugate method works, but not the one I used.
How I did it: https://imgur.com/a/Vp3ne

Physics news on Phys.org
Hammad Shahid said:
delta x / hypotenuse
You are taking ##\delta y## divided by the hypothenuse ... You are computing the sine, not the cosine.

Orodruin said:
You are taking ##\delta y## divided by the hypothenuse ... You are computing the sine, not the cosine.
Sorry, I meant in relation to the angle, like such: https://imgur.com/a/hdKyE

IDK, it’s something my teacher showed me last year, like tangent = (y/x), or opposite/adjacent.

You really should not be using those terms for angles larger than 90 degrees, it will most likely just confuse you.

What you are computing is the sine, no matter how you frame it. The easiest way to remember things is to look at the unit circle with the angle ccw from the x axis. The x value is the cosine and the y value the sine.

Orodruin said:
You really should not be using those terms for angles larger than 90 degrees, it will most likely just confuse you.

What you are computing is the sine, no matter how you frame it. The easiest way to remember things is to look at the unit circle with the angle ccw from the x axis. The x value is the cosine and the y value the sine.
Hmm, okay. However, wouldn’t that then technically be the same as cosine of -30 degrees?
But over here, 330-270=60 degrees.
So the only logical thing I can think of is that I have to view the angles in relation from the x-axis, Am I correct in saying that?

Hammad Shahid said:
But over here, 330-270=60 degrees.
So the only logical thing I can think of is that I have to view the angles in relation from the x-axis, Am I correct in saying that?
Yes. View it in relation to the x-axis.

Ok. Now that I think about it, it makes a lot of sense.
Thank you both of you guys.

Hammad Shahid said:
Hmm, okay. However, wouldn’t that then technically be the same as cosine of -30 degrees?
Yes. Both sine and cosine are periodic with a period of 360 degrees.

1. What is the conjugate method for solving cosine of 330 degrees?

The conjugate method is a technique used in mathematics to solve trigonometric functions, such as cosine, at specific angles. It involves finding the product of a complex number and its conjugate to eliminate the imaginary part of the number, resulting in a simplified real number solution.

2. What is the alternative method for solving cosine of 330 degrees?

The alternative method for solving cosine of 330 degrees involves using the trigonometric identity cos(x) = sin(90-x) to find the value of cosine at a complementary angle, in this case, 60 degrees. Then, using the angle addition formula, cos(330) can be expressed as cos(270+60), which can be simplified to -sin(60). This method may be more intuitive for some individuals and may require less calculation than the conjugate method.

3. Which method is more accurate for solving cosine of 330 degrees?

Both methods, if done correctly, should result in the same answer for solving cosine of 330 degrees. However, the conjugate method may be more accurate due to its use of complex numbers and the elimination of rounding errors that may occur in the alternative method.

4. Can either method be used to solve other trigonometric functions?

Yes, both the conjugate method and the alternative method can be used to solve other trigonometric functions, such as sine and tangent, at specific angles. The key is to understand the underlying principles and identities used in each method.

5. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to using one method over the other?

The choice of method may depend on personal preference and familiarity with the concepts. Some may find the conjugate method more straightforward and efficient, while others may find the alternative method more intuitive. It is always useful to be familiar with multiple methods for problem-solving to choose the most suitable one for a given situation.