Rewriting the propagator for the free particle as integral over E

In summary, the given propagator for a free particle can be rewritten as an integral over energy and a sum over the plus or minus index. The limit of integration is changed to 0 to infinity due to the non-negativity of energy for a free particle. The inclusion of the sum over alpha is necessary for the degeneracy of the 2-dimensional subspace. The constant in front of the integral may come from the change in integration variable from dp to dE.
quasar_4

Homework Statement

(This is all with respect to a free particle)
Show that the propagator [tex] U(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |p><p| exp\left(\frac{-i E(p) t}{\hbar}\right) dp [/tex] can be rewritten as an integral over E and sum over the [tex]\pm[/tex] index as:

[tex] U(t) = \sum_{\alpha = \pm} \int_{0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{m}{\sqrt{2mE}}\right) |E, \alpha><E, \alpha| exp\left(\frac{-i E t}{\hbar}\right) dE [/tex].

Homework Equations

The Hamiltonian for a free particle is just H = P^2/2m (all kinetic energy) and the allowed values of momentum are plus or minus 2mE. So, for a given energy eigenvalue, there is a degenerate 2 dimensional subspace.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well... I can see that when we change to sum over E instead of P (or rather, integrate) that we have to change the limit of integration from 0 to infinity because the energy cannot be negative for a free particle. Also, it makes fine sense to me to sum over alpha because we're dealing with a degenerate subspace. What I can't figure out is the constant in front! Can someone help point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
could the constant come from the intgeration variable change?

ie what is dE in terms of dp?

1. What is the propagator for a free particle?

The propagator for a free particle is a mathematical function that describes the probability amplitude of a particle to travel from one point to another in a given amount of time.

2. How is the propagator for a free particle usually represented?

The propagator for a free particle is typically represented as a path integral, which takes into account all possible paths that the particle could take between two points.

3. What does it mean to rewrite the propagator as an integral over energy?

Rewriting the propagator as an integral over energy means that instead of considering all possible paths, we are now considering all possible energies that the particle could have while traveling between two points.

4. Why is it useful to rewrite the propagator as an integral over energy?

Rewriting the propagator as an integral over energy allows us to calculate the probability of a particle having a specific energy at a given point in time, which can be useful in many quantum mechanical calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to this approach of rewriting the propagator as an integral over energy?

Yes, this approach is limited to systems with a constant potential energy. It also assumes that the particle is free, meaning it is not affected by any external forces. In more complex systems, this approach may not accurately describe the behavior of the particle.