Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riccati Equation. Unsure what substitution to use

1. Sep 20, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    I have the equation
    y' = y^2 + x^2 and am asked to linearise the equation with the appropriate substitution and then solve the resulting 2nd order linear equation.

My issue is I am unsure what to substitute in for y. I can't seem to find a choice for y which the differential will be a higher order so that I can make the aux equation to solve for some value c.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2
    Hl!

Let y(x) = -(1/f(x))*(df/dx)
    leads to (d²f/dx²)+x²f(x)=0

4. Sep 27, 2012 #3
    once you have the second order linear ODE, how do you solve it and then get back to the original Riccati equation? I tried power series method but it looks messy and I'm not sure if it's right, I then tried expressing as a Bessel function and get f= c1 x^1/2 J 1/4 (1/2 x^2) + c2 x^1/2 J -1/4 (1/2 x^2), but then how to return to a function in y?

5. Sep 27, 2012 #4
    Going back to the power series soln, I get a soln for f, then I differentiated f and then substituted it all back into y = -1 f'/f to get a soln for y. The soln for y has power series on numerator and denominator and have different powers of x thru it.

6. Sep 29, 2012 #5
    Hi !
    I agree with your result :
    f= c1 x^1/2 J 1/4 (1/2 x^2) + c2 x^1/2 J -1/4 (1/2 x^2)
    To return to a function in y, you have to derivate f(x) and bring it back into y = -f'/f
    This will leads to a fraction in which the numerator and the denominator are the sum of Bessel fonctions. This is the simplest way to express the result on a closed form.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook