Ridiculus position-time graph extrapolation

In summary, the graph may be difficult to interpret because it is not properly drawn and it does not provide information about how acceleration works.
ChrisEffinSmi
I'm working on some physics lab homework and one particular graph is obnoxious. It's hard to tell whether it's intended as a compound curve, or if it's just a piss-poor sketch. I've contacted my professor but he hasn't responded for days, and it's due tomorrow. If I'm not mistaken, the decreasing slope towards the end of the graph would indicate negative acceleration, but the blank AvT graph isn't provisioned for such.

EDIT - I can't believe I was so stupid as to not mention I'm referring to graph B. Apologies!

Homework Statement

http://usera.imagecave.com/hotrod73dart/question/graphb.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

http://usera.imagecave.com/hotrod73dart/question/graphbattempt.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

It would help if you were more specific about exactly which graph you have a question.

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

It would help if you were more specific about exactly which graph you have a question.

Sorry! Would you believe that the whole time I was posting I was telling myself to remember to mention it was graph b? *sigh*, my brain is mush at the moment. Fixed! Thanks for pointing it out.

ChrisEffinSmi said:
Sorry! Would you believe that the whole time I was posting I was telling myself to remember to mention it was graph b? *sigh*, my brain is mush at the moment. Fixed! Thanks for pointing it out.

In form, if your question is about the negative acceleration, that is correct. there must be a negative value there.

But at the start there, it looks like you have an impulse or near impulse in the sudden velocity increase, because of your Δv/Δt.

I would smooth your velocity profile up. To be honest, I'm sure that the graph isn't supposed to look so poorly. To me, it reminds me of an equation that CFD users use quite often:
[tex] f(x) = 3x^2 - 2x^3[/tex]
Which smoothly goes from (0,0) to (1,1), while maintaining zero derivative at both points. So, basing my "answer" on that, I would say that the velocity curve should be an "arch" with the acceleration being a negatively linear. However, based on that sketch, there might be some jacked up stuff going on at the beginning.

It's frustrating how ambiguous it is. This is a 100-level physics class (introduction to physics), mostly Newtonian mechanics using only algebra/trig. As you can see from the other two graphs, this lab is supposed to be pretty simple stuff. Just getting a feel for what acceleration is and how "deceleration" is just acceleration opposite to the velocity. I've returned to school after an 8 year break to get a degree in physics. I took this class to "brush up" before getting into the heavier stuff, but it's causing a lot of frustration with a lot of ambiguous questions. I'm tending to "over-think" a lot of the questions. I may be forced to leave this one blank and hope to catch the professor before class. Thanks for all the help everyone.

1. What is a Ridiculus position-time graph extrapolation?

A Ridiculus position-time graph extrapolation is a graph that shows the position of an object over time, but with exaggerated or unrealistic data points. It is often used as a teaching tool to demonstrate the concept of extrapolation, which is the process of extending data beyond the range of measured values.

2. How is a Ridiculus position-time graph extrapolation different from a regular graph?

While a regular graph accurately represents the data points and trends observed in an experiment, a Ridiculus position-time graph extrapolation purposely exaggerates the data to demonstrate the concept of extrapolation. The data points may be significantly higher or lower than what would be expected based on the actual data.

3. What is the purpose of creating a Ridiculus position-time graph extrapolation?

The purpose of a Ridiculus position-time graph extrapolation is to help students understand the concept of extrapolation and how it can be used to predict future data points. It also serves as a reminder to not rely solely on extrapolated data, as it may not accurately represent the true values.

4. How is a Ridiculus position-time graph extrapolation useful in scientific research?

In scientific research, a Ridiculus position-time graph extrapolation can be used to demonstrate the limitations of extrapolating data and the importance of collecting accurate and reliable data. It can also be used to identify potential errors or discrepancies in the data and to improve the accuracy of predictions and conclusions.

5. Can a Ridiculus position-time graph extrapolation be used for real-world applications?

While a Ridiculus position-time graph extrapolation may not accurately represent real-world data, the concept of extrapolation is commonly used in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. By understanding the concept through a Ridiculus graph, scientists can better identify and account for potential errors and uncertainties in their predictions and analysis.