1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curves on a Position time graph

1. May 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    CLWXEE5.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I knew the answer was between A and B, but the inward curves and outward curves on the position time graph confused me , what exactly does it mean?
    -does A have an increasing velocity and then B has a decreasing velocity? im really confused with the slopes

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

I don't think any of the graphs are correct. The one that is the closest is still wrong because the absolute value of the gradient of the segment that is described as 'slow constant speed' is greater than that for the segment described as 'running'. They should replace 'runs' by 'strolls' or even 'crawls'.

I think the correct answer would have the first two segments of A followed by the last two segments of B.

4. May 30, 2016 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

The answer is probably B. The problem statement doesn't state the acceleration is constant, so an initially higher amount of acceleration that reduces as the constant speed is approached would be allowed, so B's curve in position versus time during acceleration isn't an issue. (Consider the case of a sprinter taking off from blocks). This leaves the slower constant negative velocity followed by faster positive velocity to decide between A and B.

5. May 30, 2016 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Great lateral thinking!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted