1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riemann Zeta approaches infinity as x approaches 1

1. May 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We know [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^x}[/itex] is uniformly convergent on the interval [itex]x\in(1,\infty)[/itex] and that its sum is called [itex]\zeta(x)[/itex]. Proof that [itex]\zeta(x) \rightarrow \infty[/itex] as [itex]x \rightarrow 1^+[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

We cannot find the formula that [itex]\zeta[/itex] is given by, but we know
    [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^1}[/itex] diverges.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've already shown that the functional series is uniformly convergent on the above interval and that the derivative also converges uniformly to a limit function, thus [itex]\zeta(x)[/itex] is continuous and can be differentiated.

The solution seem quite apparent: As [itex]x[/itex] approaches [itex]1[/itex], the series will approach the harmonic series, and thus it will diverge. Given any [itex]M>0[/itex], I can find a [itex]b>0[/itex] so that [itex]x \in (1,1+b) \Rightarrow \zeta(x) >M[/itex], as we know that we will approach the harmonic series.

However, I'm not quite sure how I can go about formulating a formal proof. For functional series, I suppose I cannot just plug in the limit and say its a harmonic series (especially as it's not defined there).

Under which conditions can I be completely sure that plugging in the relevant [itex]x[/itex] and then let [itex]n[/itex] approach infinity will be equivalent to letting n approach infinity and then let [itex]x[/itex] approach infinity? Or can I approach this in a different way?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2012 #2
    Why not use the fact that
    $$
    \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n}
    $$
    is a harmonic series.

Then
    $$
    1+\frac{k}{2}\leq\sum_{n=1}^{2^k}\frac{1}{n}
    $$
    as ##k\to\infty##
    $$
    \infty = 1+\frac{k}{2}\leq \sum_{n=1}^{2^k}\frac{1}{n}
    $$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook