Right hand rule finding torque help

In summary, to find the direction of torque using the right hand rule, you can align the tails of the force and r vectors and curl your fingers from r towards F. Your thumb will then point into the page, indicating that the torque vector is also into the page or clockwise.
spdowind

Homework Statement

It is part of a question, i am not sure how to use RHR to find direction.
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2594/rhr.jpg [Broken]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I need to find direction of torque by using right hand rule with the Force vector and R vector ( pointing away from pivot point i think, for rigid body)

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I put the tails of F and r vectors together, and point thumb away from me, with hand parallel to r vector, and then curl my 4 fingers toward F i get clock wise.

Im not sure if i am right. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
spdowind said:
I put the tails of F and r vectors together, and point thumb away from me, with hand parallel to r vector, and then curl my 4 fingers toward F i get clock wise.
Looks good to me. (Assuming I understand your diagram.) To curl your fingers from r towards F, your thumb must point into the page. Thus the torque vector will be into the page, or (equivalently) the torque will be clockwise.

1. What is the right hand rule for finding torque?

The right hand rule for finding torque is a method used to determine the direction of the torque vector in a rotational system. It states that if the fingers of your right hand curl in the direction of rotation, then your thumb points in the direction of the torque vector.

2. Why is it important to use the right hand rule for finding torque?

Using the right hand rule for finding torque is important because it allows you to determine the direction of the torque vector, which is necessary for calculating the net torque in a system. It also ensures that all calculations are consistent and accurate.

3. How is the right hand rule applied in finding torque?

The right hand rule is applied by placing your hand on the object or system in question and curling your fingers in the direction of rotation. Your thumb will then point in the direction of the torque vector. You can also use the right hand rule to determine the direction of the cross product between the position vector and the force vector.

4. Are there any variations of the right hand rule for finding torque?

Yes, there are variations of the right hand rule for finding torque. One variation is the left hand rule, which is used in situations where the direction of rotation is counterclockwise. Another variation is the cork screw rule, which is used in three-dimensional systems where the direction of the torque vector is not along the same axis as the force vector.

5. Can the right hand rule be used for any type of torque?

Yes, the right hand rule can be used for any type of torque, including static and dynamic torques. It can also be used for calculating torques in both two-dimensional and three-dimensional systems.