1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rigid Body Equilibrium Question

1. Nov 24, 2009 #1
    Hi, I have a question regarding Equilibrium problems.
    Here is the example of my hw.
    Find the tension T in each cable and the magnitude and direction of the force exerted on the strut by the pivot.
    I know how to find T. The only problem is i couldnt imagine the force exerted on the strut by the pivot. I dont even know what that means. Can someone explain it to me and help me solve this problem.

I also noticed that i need to find the force on the pivot for some other problems. Is there any easy ways to find the force? at least, how to picture it. Once i know where it is, i think i could solve it. untitled-1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2
    nobody??

4. Nov 24, 2009 #3
    Draw a free body diagram for each joint.

5. Nov 24, 2009 #4
    I know how to do it, the only problem is i dont know how to determine the net force on the pivot.
    thats it. thats my only problem. I know how to solve T, but I dont know how to solve the net force exerted on the strut by the pivot

6. Nov 25, 2009 #5
    OK. The diagram does not show a pivot where the strut meets the wall, but I assume that is supposed to be a pivot? In that case the strut is always in either pure tension or compression since you cannot transmit torque at either end. So, the force exerted on/by the strut at the upper right (where the two cables are) must be balanced by a force at the pivot. Do you have that force at the upper right?

7. Nov 25, 2009 #6
    I need this force exerted by the wall.

untitled-1.jpg

8. Nov 25, 2009 #7
    Yes, I understand. Do you have the FBD solved at the upper right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook