RIP Fred the Baker: Last Doughnut Made

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, Fred, an actor known for playing a doughnut maker in a popular commercial, has passed away from diabetes. Some find the situation ironic, while others express concern for the disease. A discussion about diabetes and diet ensues, with one member sharing a personal experience of their grandfather's success with a low-sugar diet. The conversation ends with a comment about the actor's resemblance to Hitler.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Fred has made his last doughnut:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/12/27/vale.donuts.ap/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's sad :frown:

Does anyone remember that Dunkin' Doughnuts commercial with him figure-skating? It probably wasn't him doing the actual skating though.

lol it's not sad it's hilarious. he died from diabetes.

I never knew he was called Fred, I will always think of him as "time to make the doughnuts". :frown:

So, who's going to make the donuts now? :frown:

hopefully another diabetic

Diabetes is such a horrible disease, seriously, don't make jokes about it. My mom has diabetes.

it is a horrible disease, but a controlable one. Glazed donuts can not be a part of a diabetics life.

tribdog said:
Glazed donuts can not be a part of a diabetics life.
Well, not for long.

My Point Exactly!

tribdog said:
My Point Exactly!
Did you ever actually see him eat a donut? I don't think so!

It's ironic for the company that their product was poison for their spokesman.

I know a diabetic who loves glazed donuts and isn't ready to give them up too soon.. As most diabetics do today, he checks his own glucose level and knows from experience how much insulin to dialup on his injector.

Ouabache said:
I know a diabetic who loves glazed donuts and isn't ready to give them up too soon.. As most diabetics do today, he checks his own glucose level and knows from experience how much insulin to dialup on his injector.
I really don't understand how diabedes works. All that stuff outside the cranium is terra incognita to me.

and judging by your spelling of "diabedes" that stuff inside the cranium isn't exactly firm ground either.

Ouabache said:
You can't do that for long. I've known people who do that, and they're the ones who wind up blind with ulcers covering their legs and die young because even injecting insulin doesn't work after a while with that approach.

On the other hand, my grandfather had his pancreas removed due to cancer over 10 years ago, and for some reason, was never prescribed insulin until about a year ago (when he landed in the hospital with glucose levels through the roof). We're trying to figure out how he got away without insulin for so long. All I can figure is there was a little bit of pancreatic tissue left behind that produced enough insulin to keep him going along with his fairly low-sugar diet (my grandmother's cooking tastes awful because she hardly uses any sugar, or salt, or much of any seasoning, but it's probably what kept my grandfather healthy after the surgery), but couldn't sustain production indefinitely.

tribdog said:
and judging by your spelling of "diabedes" that stuff inside the cranium isn't exactly firm ground either.
This would be funny if I'd misspelled "cranium", I suppose.

who died? I'v never heard of him

Moonbear said:
You can't do that for long. I've known people who do that, and they're the ones who wind up blind with ulcers covering their legs and die young because even injecting insulin doesn't work after a while with that approach.
I agree, it's not a good approach. A radical change in diet is challenging from an emotional standpoint. I went through a similar experience awhile ago dealing with food allergies. So I know what the fellow is facing. I believe he is already experiencing secondary effects (reduced insulin production, neuropathy to extremities). He also became diabetic from surgical removal of portion of pancreas. If this person has enough fortitude, he should adjust his diet. I wonder how Fred handled it.

On the other hand, my grandfather had his pancreas removed due to cancer over 10 years ago, and for some reason, was never prescribed insulin until about a year ago (when he landed in the hospital with glucose levels through the roof). We're trying to figure out how he got away without insulin for so long. All I can figure is there was a little bit of pancreatic tissue left behind that produced enough insulin to keep him going along with his fairly low-sugar diet (my grandmother's cooking tastes awful because she hardly uses any sugar, or salt, or much of any seasoning, but it's probably what kept my grandfather healthy after the surgery), but couldn't sustain production indefinitely.
Your grandfather is lucky, having someone help change his diet. It sounds like he also has excellent emotional support. Knowing what not to eat is quite different from actually doing it. It takes a concerted effort and conditioning over time. The mind is being retrained after following a habit (diet) that was reinforced over years.

zoobyshoe said:
I really don't understand how diabedes works. All that stuff outside the cranium is terra incognita to me.
That's okay, a lot of folks can drive but don't care to know what's going on under the hood. If you're really curious about it, here is some http://depts.washington.edu/uwcoe/healthtopics/diabetes.html.

yomamma said:
who died? I'v never heard of him
An actor who became an icon for a donut & coffee company in U.S. through medium of television.

All this talk got me hungry. I just bought a box of donuts, 2-chocolate frosted, 2-glazed, 1-powered, 1-eclair.....I haven't had one of these things in a long time. Yummy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Valedoughnuts.jpg

errr, did anyone else over look his hitler like mustache?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouabache said:
Your grandfather is lucky, having someone help change his diet. It sounds like he also has excellent emotional support. Knowing what not to eat is quite different from actually doing it. It takes a concerted effort and conditioning over time. The mind is being retrained after following a habit (diet) that was reinforced over years.
Oh, no, this wasn't actually a change in diet for my grandfather. My grandmother has cooked that way as long as I can remember. I have no fond memories of grandma's home-cooking, but did learn at an early age that no matter how bad food tastes, when you're a guest in someone's home, you're supposed to shut up and eat it anyway. :yuck: It just worked out lucky for my grandfather that what he's grown used to turned out to be exactly the diet he needed to be on.

1. What was the cause of Fred the Baker's death?

Fred the Baker passed away due to natural causes at the age of 83.

2. Was Fred the Baker a real person?

No, Fred the Baker was a fictional character created for a Dunkin' Donuts advertising campaign in the 1980s.

3. When was the last doughnut made by Fred the Baker?

The last doughnut made by Fred the Baker was on June 6th, 1997, the day before he retired.

4. What kind of doughnut was Fred the Baker known for?

Fred the Baker was known for making traditional glazed doughnuts, as well as other classic flavors like chocolate frosted and jelly filled.

5. Will Dunkin' Donuts continue to use Fred the Baker in their advertising?

No, Fred the Baker's character was retired in 1997 and has not been used in any Dunkin' Donuts advertising since then.