RIP Jack Lalanne: Fitness Pioneer & TV Icon

• News
  • Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
In summary: Didn't he swim so from Alcatraz to mainland, which only one escapee ever managed without... drowning?He swam from Alcatraz to the mainland once, but it's not clear if he drowned or not.
Physics news on Phys.org
I thought he was immortal. :(

Oh No! My mother and I exercized with him, we even bought that blue rubber thing he sold.

I'm really starting to feel old.

Will never forget that tight black outfit and the little black shoes.
But what I feel really thankful for is Jack just made 96 the new 86!
So ladies, we just got ten years younger. :smile:

Yikes! Hope I'm old enough to stay home alone... :smile:

I remember clicking past his show to get to the Saturday morning cartoons when I was a kid in the early 1960s. Then I saw him in late-night infomercials sometime during the last few years, and thought "yow, is that really the same guy?"

You guys will always be young at heart. In my books,you are young 20 year old females not old tarts. :-)

Sorry to see you go Mr. Lalanne. :frown:

Math Is Hard said:
Ditto.

lisab said:
Jack Lalanne has died!

At 96, I'd call that just as solid a success story as my grandpa who shoveled neighbor's driveways in the latter years of his life.

He died at 96, too.

Good for you, Jack.

Math Is Hard said:
Me too.

Evo said:
Oh No! My mother and I exercized with him, we even bought that blue rubber thing he sold.

I'm really starting to feel old.
I used to watch him in the 60's. I did exercises with him too.

We are old. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
We are old.
:frown:

mugaliens said:
At 96, I'd call that just as solid a success story as my grandpa who shoveled neighbor's driveways in the latter years of his life.

He died at 96, too.

Good for you, Jack.

Wow yeah!
He lived his life for ground breaking concepts here in the US, like keeping fit and eating right.
(This was during a time when the TV cooks were teaching us to heap in the butter, lard and sugars.)
He stayed married 51 years.
He made himself a good name.

I use to think 86 was break down time. When health starts to go south.
I celebrate his life and what he gave us.
We can now look forward to 96... 120!

He remains a great inspiration for us.
Thank you Jack!
:!)

RIP Jack.

You practiced what you preached and it worked.

RIP, Jack. The guy was tough as nails.

He used to make "impossible" swims, but he did them with the handicap of handcuffs and shackles, often towing a string of loaded boats.

We just watched a short tribute to him on CNN here and he was wearing a blue suit. Now I am really confused. When I was watching him as a kid, he was wearing a black suit like I stated in my post above. But I realize now that my memory would have been of him on a black and white set. lol :smile: Did he ever do his show in a black suit or was it always blue?
We was poor folk out there in Beverly Hills. Daddy was making space junk and we were watching a black and white set. Maybe the color sets were not out yet.

Lacy33 said:
We was poor folk out there in Beverly Hills. Daddy was making space junk and we were watching a black and white set. Maybe the color sets were not out yet.
Color sets were quite expensive when they first came out, and the lack of color programming was a hindrance to sales. It wasn't until the late 60's that color sets became commonplace (as opposed to a novelty) in this area. I never saw Jack Lalanne in color, that I can recall.

turbo-1 said:
Color sets were quite expensive when they first came out, and the lack of color programming was a hindrance to sales. It wasn't until the late 60's that color sets became commonplace (as opposed to a novelty) in this area. I never saw Jack Lalanne in color, that I can recall.

That must have been the case. Thank you for making it clear.
I know we were in "lower Beverly Hills." Like 20 miles south of Rodeo Drive parking. :-p

turbo-1 said:
RIP, Jack. The guy was tough as nails.

He used to make "impossible" swims, but he did them with the handicap of handcuffs and shackles, often towing a string of loaded boats.

Didn't he swim so from Alcatraz to mainland, which only one escapee ever managed without drowning?

I remember as a teenager, going with my parents to look at a house for sale. I walked across the living room and their was a squeaky spot on the floor. The husband says, that's where my wife and Jack Lalanne have their affair every morning.

RIP Jack.

Loren Booda said:
Didn't he swim so from Alcatraz to mainland, which only one escapee ever managed without drowning?
He was handcuffed the first time and handcuffed and shackled AND towing a boat another time. I'm surprised that he didn't swim the English Channel towing a boat containing his spotter/timer.

Related to RIP Jack Lalanne: Fitness Pioneer & TV Icon

What were Jack Lalanne's contributions to the fitness industry?

Jack Lalanne was a pioneer in the fitness industry, introducing new exercise techniques and promoting healthy living. He was one of the first to encourage weightlifting and cardiovascular exercise for overall health and wellbeing. He also created the first health club and developed many exercise machines, such as the Smith Machine and the leg extension machine.

How did Jack Lalanne become a TV icon?

In the 1950s, Jack Lalanne began hosting a fitness show on television, which was one of the first of its kind. He was known for his charismatic personality and his ability to motivate viewers to exercise and eat healthy. His show ran for over 30 years and made him a household name.

What was Jack Lalanne's philosophy on fitness?

Jack Lalanne believed that regular exercise and a balanced diet were the key to a long and healthy life. He promoted a holistic approach to fitness, emphasizing the importance of both physical and mental health. He also believed in setting achievable goals and constantly pushing oneself to improve.

How did Jack Lalanne continue to be a fitness inspiration in his later years?

Jack Lalanne remained dedicated to his fitness routine well into his 90s, often performing incredible feats of strength and endurance. He also continued to spread his message of health and fitness through books, seminars, and public appearances. He was a living example of the benefits of maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

How has Jack Lalanne's legacy influenced the fitness industry today?

Jack Lalanne's contributions to the fitness industry have had a lasting impact. He paved the way for other fitness personalities and inspired countless individuals to prioritize their health and wellbeing. His exercise techniques and equipment have also influenced the development of modern fitness programs and equipment. His legacy continues to inspire people to live healthier lives.