RIP Andy Griffith (June 1, 1926 – July 3, 2012)

In summary, Andy Griffith dies at 86. He was a household name for his portrayal of a small-town sheriff on "The Andy Griffith Show," which aired from 1960 to 1968. His character, Andy Taylor, was a widower in the fictional town of Mayberry, N.C., which was thought to be modeled after Griffith's hometown of Mount Airy, N.C. His character encountered daily drama from his sidekick Deputy Barney Fife (Don Knotts) as well as his young son, Opie (Ron Howard). Griffith was also known for his roles in "A Face in the Crowd" (1957) and "Savages" (2012).
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Andy Griffith dies at 86
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/andy-griffith-dies-at-86.html
Griffith became a household name for his portrayal of a small-town sheriff on "The Andy Griffith Show," which aired from 1960 to 1968. His character, Andy Taylor, was a widower in the fictional town of Mayberry, N.C., which was thought to be modeled after Griffith's hometown of Mount Airy, N.C. His character encountered daily drama from his sidekick Deputy Barney Fife (Don Knotts) as well as his young son, Opie (Ron Howard).

. . . .
I remember the show (the last two years of original broadcasts) from way back when. It seemed a kinder and gentler time on TV, against the turmoil of the Vietnam War, the anti-war movement, and the Civil Rights movement - against the backdrop of the Cold War.

The Folksy TV Sheriff From Mayberry
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/04/arts/television/andy-griffith-actor-dies-at-86.html

Ron Howard: What I learned from Andy Griffith
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-st-0704-ron-howard-20120704,0,4710496.story

Physics news on Phys.org
RIP Andy.

He was a gentler, more amiable character than most. Don Knotts matched him perfectly. A great pairing.

turbo said:
He was a gentler, more amiable character than most. Don Knotts matched him perfectly. A great pairing.
Nip it! Nip it in the bud!

I remember when "what it was was football" came out in the 50's ... hilarious, and he was terrific in "A Face in the Crowd".

RIP

phinds said:
I remember when "what it was was football" came out in the 50's ...

Holy crap, you're old!
I heard the album, but much later. It was highly amusing. I grew up with the AG Show and Mayberry RFD, and I spent the last few years watching Matlock reruns. As much as I liked Don Knotts in AGS, I detested him in Matlock. (The character, not the actor.)
He was a great entertainer. The only two problems that I have with him are:
1) Whenever I watch his old stuff, I can't help but see Howdy Doodie in his place.
2) I can never, short of falling asleep, get that damned whistled theme song out of my head.

I live in Virginia near the North Carolina border where he grew up. Those North Carolinians have been famous for centuries for being among the most gentile of southerners. Some of them are so gracious and nonconfrontational they could charm the pants off a snake. That's what made the show so great for me was the authenticity of the actors who often did grow up in places like that.

P.S.- I used to live in a small town in central Virginia near Sissy Spacek's horse ranch. She would come into town every so often to do her shopping and people might take a second look, but that was it. Nobody ever bothered her. In fact, the town is within an easy drive of Walton mountain where John Boy grew up.

My wife's two favorite actors are Don Knotts and Jimmy Stewart. They are both "characters" in their way. Still, when Andy comes around on the satellite channels, the set is locked on those. It's hard to remember that Ron Howard is a grown man with a daughter that is a film producer... Opie, with his fishing pole... (whistling the theme song)

wuliheron said:
I live in Virginia near the North Carolina border where he grew up. Those North Carolinians have been famous for centuries for being among the most gentile of southerners. Some of them are so gracious and nonconfrontational they could charm the pants off a snake. That's what made the show so great for me was the authenticity of the actors who often did grow up in places like that.

P.S.- I used to live in a small town in central Virginia near Sissy Spacek's horse ranch. She would come into town every so often to do her shopping and people might take a second look, but that was it. Nobody ever bothered her. In fact, the town is within an easy drive of Walton mountain where John Boy grew up.

It is suprising to realize how many popular TV shows John Boy [Earl Hamner] wrote for, not the least of which being several episodes from The Twilight Zone. I think he even wrote a bit for Star Trek, IIRC.

As for our old friend Andy, his charm seemed to define him. But it didn't work on everyone. In spite of their on-screen compatibility, Andy and Aunt Bee didn't like each other.

I remember watching a movie called "Savages", where Andy played a bad guy. It seemed out of place at the time. It was disconcerting to watch the definitively friendly sheriff from Mayberry hunt down a man in cold blood. :eek:

Last edited:
Poor guy. He even missed out on the CERN discovery today!
:frown:

Ivan Seeking said:
It is suprising to realize how many popular TV shows John Boy [Earl Hamner] wrote for, not the least of which being several episodes from The Twilight Zone. I think he even wrote a bit for Star Trek, IIRC.

As for our old friend Andy, his charm seemed to define him. But it didn't work on everyone. In spite of their on-screen compatibility, Andy and Aunt Bee didn't like each other.

I remember watching a movie called "Savages", where Andy played a bad guy. It seemed out of place at the time. It was disconcerting to watch the definitively friendly sheriff from Mayberry hunt down a man in cold blood. :eek:

That's life. My grandma used to babysit for Loretta Lynn in the Black foothills of Kentucky and eventually became a cantankerous Bible thumper. My uncles would talk about setting dog's tails on fire for fun and things even less worth repeating. Country folk come in all varieties and extremes. Some though are definitely worth celebrating.

Ivan Seeking said:

I just watched an interview he did about 30 years ago and he had nothing but praise for her, both professionally and personally so if he didn't like her, it certainly didn't show all the time.

phinds said:
I just watched an interview he did about 30 years ago and he had nothing but praise for her, both professionally and personally so if he didn't like her, it certainly didn't show all the time.

It was openly discussed by the other actors, I think mainly Howard and Knotts, in one of those revisits that they do from time to time for old shows. It was claimed that they never did get along on the set. I guess it isn't suprising that Griffiths wouldn't publically diss her.

1. Who was Andy Griffith?

Andy Griffith was an American actor, comedian, and singer. He is best known for his role as Sheriff Andy Taylor in the popular television series "The Andy Griffith Show" (1960-1968).

2. When did Andy Griffith pass away?

Andy Griffith passed away on July 3, 2012 at the age of 86.

3. What was Andy Griffith's cause of death?

The official cause of Andy Griffith's death was a heart attack.

4. What other roles did Andy Griffith play besides Sheriff Andy Taylor?

Aside from his iconic role in "The Andy Griffith Show," Andy Griffith also starred in other television shows such as "Matlock" and "The Danny Thomas Show." He also appeared in several films, including "A Face in the Crowd" and "Waitress." He also had a successful career as a country music singer.

5. How is Andy Griffith remembered today?

Andy Griffith is remembered as a beloved and talented actor, comedian, and musician. He is often cited as an influence by other actors and is still widely recognized for his role as Sheriff Andy Taylor. He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and is considered an icon in American television history.

Back