RL circuit time constant question

In summary, the conversation is about determining the time constant and value of VL for an RL circuit with a 20V input and an 8.2kohm resistor and 50mH inductor in series. The time constant is calculated by dividing the inductance by the resistance, resulting in 6.09 uS. To determine the value of VL after 1.5 time constants, the formula VL = E ( e - t / T) is used, with t/T being equal to 1.5. After solving, the value of VL is found to be 4.46V, which differs from the teacher's answer of 15.54V. This may be due to the source being switched on
supra_tt
Hi,

Was hoping someone could help me.

I have the following RL circuit:

20V input
8.2kohm resistor and 50mH Inductor in series.

Determine time constant:

I answered with: T = L/R 50mH / 8.2kohm

= 6.09 uS

Is this correct?

The question I am stuck on is:

Determine the value of VL after 1.5 time constants?

I have the formula, VL = E ( e - t / T)

I can't work out what to put for the t? I tried putting in:

20 (e - 1.5 / (6.09uS) but can't be right?

If someone could help I would be much appreciated

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1.5 time constant means that that t/T=1.5. Substitute 1.5 for t/T into the formula of VL, but do not forget using parentheses.

ehild

Thanks for the quick response!

I am getting VL = 4.46V, I was wondering if you could please confirm this?

I am a little confused because the teacher has written the answer as VL = 15.54V

Does this mean I just need to take 4.46 from 20 to get the answer?

Thanks again

VL(t) is different if the source is switched on or off at t=0. You calculated VL after the battery is switched off. In case of switching on, VL=E(1-e-t/T).

ehild

Hi there,

Your calculation for the time constant is correct. To determine the value of VL after 1.5 time constants, you can use the formula VL = E (1 - e^-t/T), where t is the time in seconds. In this case, t would be 1.5 times the time constant, which is 1.5 * 6.09uS = 9.135uS. Therefore, the value of VL after 1.5 time constants would be VL = 20(1 - e^-9.135uS/6.09uS) = 9.62V.

Hope this helps! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

1. What is an RL circuit time constant?

An RL circuit time constant is a measure of how quickly the current in a circuit reaches its steady state after being disrupted. It is determined by the values of the inductance (L) and resistance (R) in the circuit.

2. How is the time constant calculated in an RL circuit?

The time constant (τ) in an RL circuit is calculated by dividing the inductance (L) by the resistance (R). This can be expressed as τ = L/R.

3. What is the significance of the time constant in an RL circuit?

The time constant determines the rate at which the current in an RL circuit decays or rises to its steady state. It is also used to calculate the energy stored in the inductor and the time it takes for the current to reach 63.2% of its steady state value.

4. How does the time constant change if the values of inductance and resistance are altered?

If the inductance or resistance in an RL circuit is increased, the time constant will also increase. Similarly, if the values are decreased, the time constant will decrease. This relationship can be seen in the equation τ = L/R.

5. Can the time constant be used to determine the behavior of an RL circuit over time?

Yes, the time constant can be used to determine the behavior of an RL circuit over time. It can be used to calculate the current at any given time, as well as the rate at which the current changes in the circuit.