RMS speed when doubling gas molecules at constant volume and pressure

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
lbumbalo
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An ideal gas is kept in a container of constant volume. The pressure of the gas is also kept constant. The number of molecules in the gas is doubled. If the initial rms speed is 1300m/s, what is the final rms speed?


Homework Equations


Vrms=sqrt[(3kT)/m]
PV=NkT


The Attempt at a Solution


I've tried to rework the above equations hoping I would find something but there seem to be too many unknowns. I know that you need to lower the temperature of the gas, but I'm not given the initial temp or the final, and I don't know the initial number of molecules. Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
lbumbalo said:

Homework Statement


An ideal gas is kept in a container of constant volume. The pressure of the gas is also kept constant. The number of molecules in the gas is doubled. If the initial rms speed is 1300m/s, what is the final rms speed?


Homework Equations


Vrms=sqrt[(3kT)/m]
PV=NkT


The Attempt at a Solution


I've tried to rework the above equations hoping I would find something but there seem to be too many unknowns. I know that you need to lower the temperature of the gas, but I'm not given the initial temp or the final, and I don't know the initial number of molecules. Thanks
Express the initial T in terms of the other variables. If PV is kept constant and N is doubled, what happens to T?

AM