Rms voltage for capacitor charge/discharge

In summary, the conversation involved finding the rms for 1 complete cycle (0, 10ms) in a graph with a time constant of 1ms. The solution involved finding the rms contribution for the charging stage and the discharging phase, and then adding them together to get the effective rms for the entire cycle. After a mistake was pointed out, the constant multiplying the integrals was corrected to 100, resulting in an rms value of 0.634V.
dimpledur

Homework Statement

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could confirm my work for the following graph:
Untitled-6.jpg

I'm supposed to find the rms for 1 complete cycle (0, 10ms)

The time constant is 1ms.
Charging phase, v=1-e^(-t/1ms)=1-e^(-1000t)
discharging phase, v=e^(-1000t)

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I find the rms contribution for the charging stage.
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{10^{-3}}\int ^{5(10)^{-3}}_{0}{(1-e^{-1000t})^2dt}}=\sqrt{\frac{1}{10^{-3}}(t-\frac{e^{-2000t}}{2000}+\frac{e^{-1000t}}{500}|^{5(10)^{-3}}_{0})}=0.59274 V[/tex]
Next, I found the contribution of the discharge phase:
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{10^{-3}}\int ^{5(10)^{-3}}_{0}{(e^{-1000t})^2dt}}=\sqrt{\frac{1}{10^{-3}}(-\frac{e^{-2000t}}{2000}|^{5(10)^{-3}}_{0})}=0.707091 V[/tex]
and the effective rms for the entire cycle is
[tex]v_{rms}=\sqrt{(0.59274 V)^2+(0.707091 V)^2}=0.923 V[/tex]

Or do I have to multiply each of the functions underneatht he the sqrt by a factor of 5(10)^-3 ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Add the means (over the cycle length) of the voltage-squared contributions of each section of the curve prior to taking the square root. So:
[tex] A = \frac{1}{10^{-3}}\int ^{5(10)^{-3}}_{0}{(1-e^{-1000t})^2dt} [/tex]
[tex] B = \frac{1}{10^{-3}}\int ^{5(10)^{-3}}_{0}{(e^{-1000t})^2dt} [/tex]
[tex] v_{rms} = \sqrt{A + B} [/tex]

Interesting. That seems a lot easier. Thanks!

When I do as you stated, I get an rms value of 2V. Steady state voltage in this particular instant is 1V.

Oops. The period of the waveform is 10ms or 10-2s, not 10-3s. So the constant multiplying the integrals should be 1/10-2 = 100.

I think you'll find that the RMS value should be 0.634V.

I probably should have caught that. Thanks!

1. What is the formula for calculating RMS voltage in a capacitor charge/discharge circuit?

The formula for calculating RMS voltage in a capacitor charge/discharge circuit is VRMS = Vp/√2, where Vp is the peak voltage of the circuit.

2. How does the capacitor's capacitance affect the RMS voltage in a charge/discharge circuit?

The capacitance of a capacitor is directly proportional to the RMS voltage in a charge/discharge circuit. This means that as the capacitance increases, the RMS voltage also increases.

3. Can the RMS voltage in a capacitor charge/discharge circuit be higher than the input voltage?

Yes, the RMS voltage in a capacitor charge/discharge circuit can be higher than the input voltage. This is because the capacitor stores energy and can release it in short bursts, resulting in a higher RMS voltage than the input voltage.

4. How does the frequency of the input voltage affect the RMS voltage in a capacitor charge/discharge circuit?

The frequency of the input voltage does not have a direct effect on the RMS voltage in a capacitor charge/discharge circuit. However, a higher frequency can result in a faster charge/discharge process, leading to a higher RMS voltage in a shorter amount of time.

5. What is the significance of calculating RMS voltage in a capacitor charge/discharge circuit?

Calculating the RMS voltage is important because it gives a more accurate representation of the voltage in a circuit compared to just measuring the peak voltage. This is especially important for AC circuits, where the voltage is constantly changing.