Robotics and Mechatronics Degree Useless?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential job opportunities for someone with a degree in Robotics & Mechatronics. It is noted that while there may not be many job listings for this specific field on traditional job websites, automation and robotics are increasingly being used in various industries. This suggests that there may be job opportunities in this field, but they may not be advertised on job websites.
sloan13
I am a freshman studying EE and like robotics, but I know that in robotics there is a team of mechanical, electrical, and software engineers. Also, I have been looking on job websites, just to see what types of electrical engineering jobs are available, but it seems that there aren't many jobs in robotics. Is getting a MS in Robotics & Mechatronics a complete waste of time?

Thanks for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear what job websites you have perused. You probably aren't going to find a lot of these jobs being offered on your typical internet job search websites.

Clearly, automation in general, and robotics in particular, is being used more and more in science and industry. You don't see a lot of articles where a factory has laid off its robots and hired back the workers which were displaced by automation. Repetitive tasks like assembly line welding, once staffed exclusively by human welders, are now almost exclusively robotic. Things like numerically controlled machining and cutting of parts has replaced workers who used to hand fabricate parts. 3-D printing is just getting started and has shown great promise in reducing the costs and time it takes to make prototype parts, or to reproduce existing parts.

SteamKing said:
It's not clear what job websites you have perused. You probably aren't going to find a lot of these jobs being offered on your typical internet job search websites.
I have only looked on LinkedIn and indeed since they say the skills and degree they prefer.

1. Is a degree in Robotics and Mechatronics considered useless?

No, a degree in Robotics and Mechatronics is not considered useless. In fact, it is a highly specialized field that is in demand in many industries, including manufacturing, healthcare, and defense. With the rise of automation and artificial intelligence, the skills and knowledge gained from this degree are becoming increasingly valuable.

2. What kind of job opportunities are available with a degree in Robotics and Mechatronics?

There are a variety of job opportunities available with a degree in Robotics and Mechatronics, including roles such as robotics engineer, automation engineer, control systems engineer, and mechatronics designer. Graduates can also work in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and consumer electronics.

3. Can I pursue a career in robotics and mechatronics with a different degree?

While a degree in Robotics and Mechatronics is the most direct path to a career in this field, it is not the only option. Other degrees such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or computer science can also lead to careers in robotics and mechatronics with additional training and experience.

4. Will a degree in Robotics and Mechatronics become obsolete in the future?

It is unlikely that a degree in Robotics and Mechatronics will become obsolete in the future. As technology continues to advance, the need for individuals with specialized knowledge in this field will only increase. However, it is important for graduates to continue learning and staying updated on the latest advancements in order to remain competitive in the job market.

5. How much can I expect to earn with a degree in Robotics and Mechatronics?

The salary for individuals with a degree in Robotics and Mechatronics can vary depending on their job title, industry, and experience level. However, on average, graduates can expect to earn a starting salary of around $70,000 per year, with potential for higher salaries as they gain more experience and advance in their careers.