Digital Systems class for a MechE

In summary, the individual is asking for advice on which electives to take during their third mechanical engineering semester in order to prepare for a potential master's program in control, automation, and robotics. They are considering taking a digital systems class from the Electrical Engineering department, which covers topics such as Boolean algebra, logic circuits, and microcontrollers. They are unsure if they should also take courses on electromechanical conversion and electronic circuits, but are planning to start with the digital systems class and then decide.
ramzerimar
Hey people, I need some help, preferably from the Electrical Engineers...
Classes start next month and I'm stuck deciding some electives to take during my third mechanical engineering semester. Here's the thing: I decided to take some electives from the EE department so I have a good basis to help in a eventual master's program in control, automation, robotics...
There is a class in digital systems (it's part of the EE and mechatronics undergrad programs) that covers the following subjects:
Boolean algebra, Combinational Logic Circuits, VHDL, MSI Logic Circuits and Principles of Sequential Systems. Since I want to learn a bit of electrical and electronics - and apply this knowledge to, let's say, robotics and control - would this class be suitable for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
ramzerimar said:
Hey people, I need some help, preferably from the Electrical Engineers...
Classes start next month and I'm stuck deciding some electives to take during my third mechanical engineering semester. Here's the thing: I decided to take some electives from the EE department so I have a good basis to help in a eventual master's program in control, automation, robotics...
There is a class in digital systems (it's part of the EE and mechatronics undergrad programs) that covers the following subjects:
Boolean algebra, Combinational Logic Circuits, VHDL, MSI Logic Circuits and Principles of Sequential Systems. Since I want to learn a bit of electrical and electronics - and apply this knowledge to, let's say, robotics and control - would this class be suitable for me?
Seems like a good starting point. Do they have follow-on classes on how to use microcontrollers, how to program them, and basic analog/power electronics for motor control and sensors? :smile:

berkeman said:
Seems like a good starting point. Do they have follow-on classes on how to use microcontrollers, how to program them, and basic analog/power electronics for motor control and sensors? :smile:
A second course on the subject would cover: latches and flip-flops, synchronous and asynchronous circuits, registers and counters, memory and, finally, microcontrollers. There is also a subsequent course specific on microprocessors and microcontrollers - featuring C programming.
I'm not sure about power electronics. It's not a follow-on to digital systems, but requires separate courses called: "Electromechanical Conversion of Energy" and "Devices and Electronic Circuits". Are those critical for motor control and sensors?

ramzerimar said:
I'm not sure about power electronics. It's not a follow-on to digital systems, but requires separate courses called: "Electromechanical Conversion of Energy" and "Devices and Electronic Circuits". Are those critical for motor control and sensors?
I don't know if they are critical, really. It would depend on what you ended up wanting to do. Can you make that decision after you've taken the first couple of these digital electronics classes? I think getting you up through microcontroller programming is a good set of steps. :smile:

Likes ramzerimar
berkeman said:
I don't know if they are critical, really. It would depend on what you ended up wanting to do. Can you make that decision after you've taken the first couple of these digital electronics classes? I think getting you up through microcontroller programming is a good set of steps. :smile:
Thank you! I will take Digital Systems and try to get up to microcontrollers, so. I hope it's worth it :)

Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of taking a Digital Systems class as a MechE?

The purpose of taking a Digital Systems class as a MechE is to gain an understanding of how digital systems are used in mechanical engineering applications. This includes learning about digital circuits, logic gates, and microcontrollers, which are essential tools for designing and controlling complex mechanical systems.

2. What topics are typically covered in a Digital Systems class for a MechE?

Topics covered in a Digital Systems class for a MechE may include Boolean algebra, logic gates, combinational and sequential circuits, microcontrollers, and interfacing with mechanical systems. Students may also learn about programming languages such as C or Assembly, as well as simulation and design tools like MATLAB and Simulink.

3. How will knowledge of digital systems benefit me as a MechE?

Knowledge of digital systems is highly beneficial for MechE students. It allows them to design and implement intelligent control systems for mechanical devices, as well as use computer-aided design and simulation tools to optimize their designs. In today's technology-driven world, understanding digital systems is also a valuable skill for any engineering professional.

4. Do I need prior programming experience to take a Digital Systems class?

While prior programming experience may be helpful, it is not usually a requirement for taking a Digital Systems class as a MechE. Many classes will start with the basics of programming, assuming no prior knowledge. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts and languages may make it easier to grasp the material.

5. Are there any real-world applications of digital systems in mechanical engineering?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of digital systems in mechanical engineering. These include designing and controlling robotic systems, automating manufacturing processes, and developing smart sensors and actuators for various mechanical devices. Digital systems are also used in vehicle control systems, aerospace technology, and many other fields within mechanical engineering.