1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Digital Systems class for a MechE

1. Feb 18, 2016 #1
    Hey people, I need some help, preferably from the Electrical Engineers...
    Classes start next month and I'm stuck deciding some electives to take during my third mechanical engineering semester. Here's the thing: I decided to take some electives from the EE department so I have a good basis to help in a eventual master's program in control, automation, robotics...
    There is a class in digital systems (it's part of the EE and mechatronics undergrad programs) that covers the following subjects:
    Boolean algebra, Combinational Logic Circuits, VHDL, MSI Logic Circuits and Principles of Sequential Systems. Since I want to learn a bit of electrical and electronics - and apply this knowledge to, lets say, robotics and control - would this class be suitable for me?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Seems like a good starting point. Do they have follow-on classes on how to use microcontrollers, how to program them, and basic analog/power electronics for motor control and sensors? :smile:

4. Feb 18, 2016 #3
    A second course on the subject would cover: latches and flip-flops, synchronous and asynchronous circuits, registers and counters, memory and, finally, microcontrollers. There is also a subsequent course specific on microprocessors and microcontrollers - featuring C programming.
    I'm not sure about power electronics. It's not a follow-on to digital systems, but requires separate courses called: "Electromechanical Conversion of Energy" and "Devices and Electronic Circuits". Are those critical for motor control and sensors?

5. Feb 18, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I don't know if they are critical, really. It would depend on what you ended up wanting to do. Can you make that decision after you've taken the first couple of these digital electronics classes? I think getting you up through microcontroller programming is a good set of steps. :smile:

6. Feb 18, 2016 #5
    Thank you! I will take Digital Systems and try to get up to microcontrollers, so. I hope it's worth it :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook