Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

"Robustness" of Nielsen-Thurston Classification

1. Dec 30, 2014 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi all,

Let X be a nice-enough topological space so that it admits a universal cover ## \tilde X ##

When does a homeomorphism ## h: X \rightarrow X ## give rise to a homeomorphism

of the universal cover to itself, i.e., we have ## p: \tilde X \rightarrow X ## , then, by

lifting properties this gives rise to (after choosing a specific sheet in the cover) to an

automorphism ## \tilde h : \tilde X \rightarrow \tilde X ## satisfying ## p \tilde h =hp ## ( I wish

I knew how to draw the diagram in here). Question: is ## \tilde h ## always a homeomorphism ?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2015 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, I got it, the answer is yes. And the title is for another question I wanted to make but never did. I was trying to ask initially (when I wrote the title) under what condition claases in Thurston-Nielsen were preserved: if we have h with ## h^n \simeq Id ## and g is isotopic with h, does it follow that ## g^n \simeq Id ## (meaning g^n is isotopic to the identity )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook