1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rock thrown from cliff, find initial and final velocities

1. Oct 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm taking grade 12 U physics and I'm having a really difficult time understanding the answers given compared to the answers I arrive at.

For example:

The question reads:

A rock was thrown horizontally from a 25.0 m high cliff and landed 15.0 m from the base of the cliff. Determine the initial speed with which the rock was thrown, as well as its final velocity.

2. The attempt at a solution

Vertical
    V1y = 0.0 m/s
    ay=9.8 m/s^2
    Displacement = 25 m

Solve for y-component

25m = (0.0 m/s)(change in time) + 1/2(9.8 m/s^2)(change in time)^2

Rearrange

(change in time)^2 = 2(25)/9.8m/s^2
    change in time = Sqrt 2(25) / 9.8m/s^2
    change in time = 0.7215375318230077

This is the answer I arrived at.

My workbook however, says the answer is 2.26. Can someone please explain to me how my workbook arrived that that answer? I cannot move on in the question until I solve this.

So far every example in my course provides the correct calculations but all of the final answers are completely incorrect.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2014 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

You did order of operations wrong. Work it out again from the first line and keep your parentheses.

4. Oct 16, 2014 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!
    You miss parentheses. (change in time)^2 = 2*25/9.8 = 5.102. Take the square root to get the time : The correct formula is (change in time) = Sqrt ((2*25) / 9.8)
    You took the square root of 50 and divided it by 9.8, which is wrong.

ehild

5. Oct 16, 2014 #4
    Thank you both so much!! you're amaz-o

My entire workbook leaves the 9.8m/s^2 throughout all of the examples so I thought that it stayed that way.

You've just made my life so much easier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted